Half Acre / Shorts Freedom Of ’78

overall

RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed in collaboration with Short’s Brewing, featuring Jonathan Cutler of Piece. This beer was made in honor of the band Ween. We loaded up a Citra Hop forward IPA with some wheat and 1000 lbs of Guava Fruit from Ecuador.

You should check out Ween.

7% ABV.

sherwoodsonny (4) - - JUN 8, 2014 does not count
Greatest beer ever! Light pinky hues and hopped overboard. Sweetness from real guava.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
MeisterD99 (26) - Lansing, USA - APR 11, 2014
Draft pour. Orange, amber. Slight cloudiness. Thin white head. Nice lacing. Aroma of tropical fruit. Taste is an original mix of tropical fruit and hops. To my palate this brings on an interesting overtone of pepper. A very unique beer. And fruitiness is subtle... thank God.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
salvaticas (410) - - APR 19, 2013
Bottle. Beautiful bright orange appearance. Incredible aroma of tropical fruits and hops. Unfortunately the taste doesn't live up to its aroma. All bark and no bite. Tart overtones. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
bigtaster (544) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - APR 14, 2012
Clear yellow orange big frothy white head. Nose is amazing, very fruity lots of citrus some candy, kiwi. Grapefruit hop bitterness, nice, unlike anything I’ve had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
crosamich (431) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - MAR 21, 2012
Nice golden color, lasting head. Fantastic citrus, mango, fruit nose starts this one off right; there’s some pine in there as well. Full body, but not overly sweet. That sweetness comes from aromatics rather than residual sugars. The IBUs creep up you. About halfway through the glass, the fruit makes way for green sticky hops. This actually takes away from drinkability a bit. I was enjoying the fruit. A solid beer, glad they made a second batch.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Glouglouburp (5956) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 9, 2011
There is currently an entry for “Shorts Freedom Of ’78” and “Half Acre Shorts Freedom Of ’78”. My bottle label “Shorts Freedom Of ’78” but also says it is a collaboration with Half Acre. I’m entering my rating under the “Half Acre Shorts…” version. I suspect they are the same beer anyway
In short: A problematic beer with too much artificial aromas/flavors. I hope I got a bad bottle, otherwise this is an awful recipe.
How: Bottle 12oz. Consumed relatively fresh a few weeks after receiving it from sarro, thanks a lot Kyle
The look: Partly cloudy golden orange body topped by a large off-white head
In long: Nose is pine-tree air freshener and phenols. Body is very bubbly, hard to appreciate the malts, very foamy, a bit of cotton candy. The hopping felt artificial (plastic hops?!?!) with pine-soil, Pledge™, air freshener, plastic. I didn’t pick much of the guava advertised on my bottle label but there was so much problems with this bottle that it was hard to taste anything but the problems. Unless Slayer uses Martha Stewart Christmas decorating tips writes as the lyrics for one of their song, I declare this beer the worst collaboration ever.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwm1034 (629) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 6, 2011
Bomber from store house....let it go too long; fading but still a distinctive flavor of guava....wish I’d tried it earlier....good but not great at this point...gotta get back into the store room more often...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
callmemickey (2564) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2012 A: Golden-orange body. Moderate sized white cap, spotty lacing after quickly receding. S: Bold citrus notes: grapefruit and orange. Plus a ton of guava. Light pale malt backbone. T: Similar to the nose... lots of fruit notes that lend a juicy character to the beer. Despite a bit of grapefruit flavor, not much in the way of bitterness. M: Smooth, lightly bitter, semi dry finish. A juicy lingering feeling that would have been improved if there was a bit more bite/crispness. O: Interesting, but ultimately not something I’d return to again frequently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JoePeesie (855) - Long Lake, Illinois, USA - SEP 15, 2011
a very fruity mild IPA. I think this was a bit overrated because the concept was exciting. I found this beer to be good, but not great, I had it on tap and out of the 22 oz. If they had used some guava extract I think it would have had a bigger kick. The hop profile was alright, and the fruit was big in the nose but I felt it fell a bit short in the taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cornfield (5452) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JUN 28, 2011
Pouring a slightly hazed, golden/orangey body with a respectable head, this had a very fruity, citrusy nose with an underlying essence of guava. This blended well in the flavor, creating a tropical fruit drink with the pangs of IPA bitterness. The malts, which I presume were there, left no lasting impression on me. But I most certainly enjoyed the beer.