Hallertau Barley Wine
     click to upload

Brewed by Hallertau Brewbar & Restaurant
Style: Barley Wine
Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.58/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
Experiments, inventions, adventures. This is a limited edition brew from the frontier of beer. You may like it, some won’t. But you will never know until you give it a go.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonnyguns (793) - AUSTRALIA - FEB 22, 2014
Had this at a blind tasting, cant say it blew my mind. Was a very sweet barley wine, almost syrup like. Can see how they experimented a bit here...was too pissed when I had it unfortunately Will give another go...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jimthechap (1480) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 10, 2013
I have an enduring soft spot for Barley Wine. A style that I was introduced to by Thomas Hardy’s Ale, refined by the Twisted Hop’s barrel aged Enigma and throw in a few overseas examples and you’ve got an ingrained love for this style of beer. I love the thick unctuous, red berry, leather and biscuit smell with Madiera cake, sultanas and plum sauce. The flavour should be viscous, velvety and enticing and after finishing the glass you should feel a sort of dizzying sensation like you’ve just had your first kiss all over again. This beer has a lot to live up to, but it should do quite well as it has around three years of aging in a bigger bottle on its side. Does it live up to my expectations? Smell: yes. I say yes, I mean Yes! Oh yesssss! Oooh! Take what I wrote initially and add some fragrant crystallised orange peel and marinaded Montmorency cherries. Flavours: yes. I say yes, I mean... you get the picture. It has the body, it has the flavour and it has that Barley Wine character that is a big autumnal embrace. Is it first kiss material? Yes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pdubyah (268) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 26, 2012
This is a first time Barley Wine drinkers review. So I have no idea how to rate this. As a beer it’s great, as a barley wine I have no idea. I love the sweetness and I actually like not having a hop bite . It gives me a good place to go and try more Barley Wine, and that made me smile.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
omega (638) - NEW ZEALAND - SEP 15, 2012
A softer style, this beer has all the characteristics of a barley wine, but lacks the wow factor that a good barley wine can have. Just not rich enough for my liking.