overall
Brewed by Hallertau Brewbar & Restaurant
Style: Schwarzbier
Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 3.44/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Historically from Germany, this Schwarzbier (or Black Beer) is a real act of balance. On the one hand the chocolate aromas are sweet, yet they’re also a bit bitter with a sniff of roasted coffee and a sneaky spicy noble hop. The colour is dark yet ruby red under the light. The roasted malts surprise with their smoothness in your mouth and the bittersweet chocolate is right there until it dries out slowly at the end. In the equilibrium, this dark beer is deceptively light.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheGrandMaster (2334) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 10, 2007
Draught at the brew pub, black with a foamy tan head. A lightly burnt malt aroma, but a good smokiness wins through. Smoked wood and charcoal are the dominant flavours for me, but I found the malty palate a little raw. Some good qualities, but little raw and dry for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ALLOVATE (2336) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAR 16, 2013
A Schwarzbier for Saint Pat’s, well that is how I role anyways!
This one settles with a limp and lax beige pad atop a deepest ruby brown body. Pickd up quite a lot of charred red wood on the nose giving it a richness atop hints of burnt peanuts, brine, cola beer, fresh strapped leather and peppery spice. Bitter and sharp burnt malt gives it a tongue-spasming astringency that is initially hard to shake off. Otherwise it is light, delicate even and expresses a gentle milk chocolate, cola-like malt profile and late hit of dusty, herbal hops. Dry, powdery, smoky length otherwise short for flavour. It slowly grew on me, as I took in the bitter charred-ness of it. Quite clean cut and easy to drink. Not too shabby!! 33cL, BBE 04/13, Cellarbrations Carlisle)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Travlr (9999) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Draft at the source. Very dark brown color, beige edge head. Aroma of unsweetened cocoa, coffee, dark fruit. Taste is coffee and subtle fruit. Light body. Tasty.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerledgend (1197) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 9, 2006
Coffee mocca aroma. Dark black in colour. Nice mouthfeel of choclate mild hop bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Pdubyah (340) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 8, 2013
Unlike the others 1,2 and 3 there is no earthy aroma in this B=but there is chocolate there. and that carries somewhat into the taste. but it isn’t strong, but it is dominant. This is an altogether better beer than 1,2 or 3. Much more enjoyable. However and but.... it’s thin and without length I do prefer this to those, and it’s what I’d pick from the bar

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Cantabrian (776) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 6, 2012
Deception? I’d say more of a shock. The aroma struck me with nausea. A number of unpleasant suggestions occurred to me, but I finally identified what it was: quite unbelievably, that leathery coffeish scent smells like caffeine after being digested and excreted. Yes, it smells like number 1 and number 2 after a good cup of coffee (and I’m NOT referring to Hallertau beer names). Nice try, but even then it didn’t turn me off completely from drinking it. And it wasn’t that bad. Smooth, medium bodied, chalky, and full of chocolates, roasted coffee, roasted malts. Quite Spartan, as the style preaches. Not a touch of fruitiness (well, I guess except for the coffee, which are technically not beans, but berries). Perhaps this is indeed what Schwarzbiere are all about. Just the charred scars, and not a touch of flair or flamboyance. I will pursue some true German Schwarzbiere before I completely give upon this style.