overall
Brewed by Hanssens Artisanaal
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Dworp, Belgium

RATINGS: 888   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
As with all Gueuzes, Hanssens is a mixture of several vintages to produce a lambic which is refreshingly fruity.

This is the result of blending different lambics of different ages. The second fermentation takes place inside the bottles and therefore they are stored for minimum six months in constant temperature kept cellars.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 22, 2005
I sort of settled with this gueze when the barkeep let me know the Cantillon was out of stock, but Iím glad I did. Very abrupt tartness, but actually doesnít fry your saliva glands the way some others may. This had a definite lemony zing that really settled into the soft fruitiness of the malt, while keeping a slightly chalky mouthfeel that balanced everything out rather nicely. It took me the better part of an hour to sip this one down but it was worth it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mungo (2472) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - FEB 21, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2007 May 07 Bottle (From Bitter Virtue). Pungent goaty cheese, zesty lemon and malt shows through. Refreshing tartness but not aggresive. 3.9
Feb 05 Bottle. Complex very fruity aroma. Citrus fruits and pears etc. Firm maltiness and hint of musty yeast. Quite sweet but balanced by sourness. Almost syrupy at times but pleasantly so. 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 20, 2005
Orange yellow colour, small dissapearing white head. Musty and acidic aroma, hints of stable, cheese and lemon peels. Acidic and fresh flavour of apple and lemon skins, small notes of wood and hay. Dry acidic finish of grapefruit, hay, stomach acid and wood. Good.

TChrome (1399) - Bedford, Texas, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Pours cloudy golden orange. Delicous aroma of wet wood and vinegar. Flavor is quite sour as well as many other complexities that I will sample again to try and discover. Mouthfeel is light. Truly delicous. Thank you Patrick!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2005
I love the initial fruity taste, and aroma. This beer reminded me a lot of framboise peche lambic, until the complex and funky aftertaste, which is best described as barnyard. But still quite appealing. Will have again. Lambic is quickly becoming my favorite style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Metalhead (623) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2005
This bottle was about 4 years old. It took me 3 weeks of sitting in my fridge to get the guts to actually try it. I let it sit unopened on my counter for about 20 mins or so whilst I consumed aanother beer. Popped the cork. Holy shit! You guys werenít kidding about the barnyard,funky stench. Brought back memories of changing my kids diaper with vinegar tossed in. I started laughing so hard it took a minute to try the first sip. Wow! Funky,vinegar,tart,sour but each sip made my mouth water. The sickboy in me kept taking deep whiffs of this because I couldnít believe I was actually drinking it. I gave my now grown daughter a sip. Her nose crinkled,her eyes watered and she ran to the fridge to get a coke. "OH,that is so gross.how can you drink that?" Beats me but Iíll buy it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nate (3553) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2005
The Rover, GŲteborg. Sharp acidic wet canvas aroma, wheaty, tartaric acid, barnyard yeast. Lemon oil. Dark golden clear with thin white foamy head. Medium-light watery body with medium-heavy carbonation. Nice tart start with acidity throughout, almost causing heartburn but not quite. Wheaty electrical ozone taste, light rubbery notes, tartaric acid. Wonderful mouth watering sour finish, with some chalky bitterness to finish. After is clean tart bitter. Nice gueuze.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sammy (8094) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 22, 2013 Smelled like vinegar and cider, and barnyard as well, so not pleasing to novices. Acidic, sour, with yeast mildly playing on the taste buds. Had another bottle 8 years later courtesy of Chris that I enjoyed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JAN 3, 2005
New Years Eve 2004 in place of champagne: Wow, the aromas here are certainly intresting. A combination of barnyard, sweaty socks, ass, limberger cheese, and funk. As far as the style goes, tis is allegedly right on target. One of my friends started dry-heaving after a big whiff of this stuff. I liked it though. Pungent and different. Intense flavors that are similar to the aroma. Very sour, but not palate-crushingly sour like Cantillion Gueuze. Very dry, vinous finish. Stank yet refreshing. Plus it had the " Holy hell, I canít believe you consumed that" reaction amongst my fellow new years revelers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
eleusis (70) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 2, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2005 WOW! Did someone say barnyard? That sounds like an apt description.... smells and tastes like a barn floor to me! But somehow, its still refreshing and enjoyable to drink. Quite sour, but the sweetness creeps in over time. Nice color, quickly dissipating head. I would buy it again for sure.