overall
Brewed by Hanssens Artisanaal
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Dworp, Belgium

RATINGS: 888   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
As with all Gueuzes, Hanssens is a mixture of several vintages to produce a lambic which is refreshingly fruity.

This is the result of blending different lambics of different ages. The second fermentation takes place inside the bottles and therefore they are stored for minimum six months in constant temperature kept cellars.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dalle (1145) - Skørping, DENMARK - JUL 27, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 29, 2004 Golden with small head. Acidity, cork, cheese, wood, BARNYARD, complex and very pleasent. (also at t’Brugs Beertje!?!)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 30, 2004
The flavour is tart and bitter, especially in finish. Rather sour in the middle. Rather easy and sweet honey-like aftertaste. The palate is dominated by a round sourness. Palate of vinegar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chriso (7344) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 20, 2004
Another good gueuze. A bit more cheesy and earthy than the Cam the that I had immediately before it, but not much to choose between them. More like smoked cheese than the blue cheese I noted in the Cam. Excellent.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 15, 2004
This gueuze pours with a cloudy orange body topped by a thick head with a good amount of lacing. The aroma is sour and tart with a barnyard note and a slight vinious note. The flavor is sour and tart wtih notes of barnyard and a nice bitterness. This is a good gueuze. Light to medium bodied, crisp and very dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JK (4287) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - JUN 12, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2006 My first gueuze. I didn’t know what to expect. Aroma of fruit and wild yeast, hiding the sour taste to come. Flavors of yeast, some fruit, herbal characteristics. Orange. Heavily carbonated. I preferred it cold. I’m not sure about the style; I will have to try more. I was really into the strange fruit flavors it gave the Grainbelt Premium that followed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadey (1849) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Corked and caged 750ml bottle. Popped the cork and was hit with this fruity sour aroma. The pour was an orange with white fluffy head that lasted for quite a while. Very well carbonated even after the three years of aging. Very strong sour flavor that was strangely refreshing. Tart and fruity that makes my mouth want to pucker. Dry finish that leaves no bad tastes in my mouth. Enjoyed every sip as I selfishly savored the entire bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madsberg (9651) - Søborg, DENMARK - JUN 4, 2004
Bottled @ ’t Brugs Beertje: Light amber coloured. Unclear. Off white dense head. Lasting. Earht, sourness and some acidic notes in the aroma. Flavour not as vivid as the aroma, but still quite delicious. Sourness, some light sweetness and some tarty and earthy flavours that pass into a fruity aftertaste. Quite good without beeing ostentatious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 7, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2004 Orange amber color, not much of a head, just a ring of foam. Amazing funky horse blanket aroma with fruits. Again the funky horse blanket is felt in the flavor wit fruits and persistent acidity. Full body, dry and dusty mouthfeel. This gem is a tribute to belgian funkiness and what a small artisanal brewery can achieve.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 30, 2004
750 mL, corked & caged: Exploding pop as the cork slides easily out of the bottle. . . the released sour funk forces me into a hazy opaque, rosy-peach dream. I float into a beehive and a funky, sour honeycomb aroma fills my head. I nod to the queen, who is lounging on a huge stack of honeycomb. For some reason I get the impression that she seems delighted to see me again. A slight mustiness urges me toward one of the honeycomb cells. After traversing the long bittersweet corridor, I fall out into a damp, cold cellar. A wild, sourness consumes my whole body and mind giving me a wicked jerk back into reality, I wake up to find my nose lodged in my glass, my eyes watering, my tongue dripping with saliva, and my lips puckered into a strange scowl . . . wow what a beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
diabel (1590) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - APR 30, 2004
Clear, amber body. Off-white head, mostly diminishing and fairly lacing. Sour barnyard aroma, as a real gueuze should smell. Complex sour flavour. Long fizzy finish.