overall
Brewed by Hanssens Artisanaal
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Dworp, Belgium

RATINGS: 924   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
As with all Gueuzes, Hanssens is a mixture of several vintages to produce a lambic which is refreshingly fruity.

This is the result of blending different lambics of different ages. The second fermentation takes place inside the bottles and therefore they are stored for minimum six months in constant temperature kept cellars.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2005
I love the initial fruity taste, and aroma. This beer reminded me a lot of framboise peche lambic, until the complex and funky aftertaste, which is best described as barnyard. But still quite appealing. Will have again. Lambic is quickly becoming my favorite style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Metalhead (628) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2005
This bottle was about 4 years old. It took me 3 weeks of sitting in my fridge to get the guts to actually try it. I let it sit unopened on my counter for about 20 mins or so whilst I consumed aanother beer. Popped the cork. Holy shit! You guys weren’t kidding about the barnyard,funky stench. Brought back memories of changing my kids diaper with vinegar tossed in. I started laughing so hard it took a minute to try the first sip. Wow! Funky,vinegar,tart,sour but each sip made my mouth water. The sickboy in me kept taking deep whiffs of this because I couldn’t believe I was actually drinking it. I gave my now grown daughter a sip. Her nose crinkled,her eyes watered and she ran to the fridge to get a coke. "OH,that is so gross.how can you drink that?" Beats me but I’ll buy it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nate (3710) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2005
The Rover, Göteborg. Sharp acidic wet canvas aroma, wheaty, tartaric acid, barnyard yeast. Lemon oil. Dark golden clear with thin white foamy head. Medium-light watery body with medium-heavy carbonation. Nice tart start with acidity throughout, almost causing heartburn but not quite. Wheaty electrical ozone taste, light rubbery notes, tartaric acid. Wonderful mouth watering sour finish, with some chalky bitterness to finish. After is clean tart bitter. Nice gueuze.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sammy (8566) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 22, 2013 Smelled like vinegar and cider, and barnyard as well, so not pleasing to novices. Acidic, sour, with yeast mildly playing on the taste buds. Had another bottle 8 years later courtesy of Chris that I enjoyed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JAN 3, 2005
New Years Eve 2004 in place of champagne: Wow, the aromas here are certainly intresting. A combination of barnyard, sweaty socks, ass, limberger cheese, and funk. As far as the style goes, tis is allegedly right on target. One of my friends started dry-heaving after a big whiff of this stuff. I liked it though. Pungent and different. Intense flavors that are similar to the aroma. Very sour, but not palate-crushingly sour like Cantillion Gueuze. Very dry, vinous finish. Stank yet refreshing. Plus it had the " Holy hell, I can’t believe you consumed that" reaction amongst my fellow new years revelers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
eleusis (70) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 2, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2005 WOW! Did someone say barnyard? That sounds like an apt description.... smells and tastes like a barn floor to me! But somehow, its still refreshing and enjoyable to drink. Quite sour, but the sweetness creeps in over time. Nice color, quickly dissipating head. I would buy it again for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Clear golden with no head. Sour, vinous aroma that lets you know it is a lambic. Flavor starts off sweet, turns sour, then sweet, sour, etc.. Very enjoyable and refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
joeec5 (204) - bayonne, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Clear golden orange. Sweet vinegar smell. Sweet at first. Then "make me pucker slightly" sour, then sweet again..Jolly rancher qualities. GOOD.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
desurfer (1212) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - DEC 25, 2004
Wow, how far my palate has come in a year! I used to hate lambic, now I love them. This pours a slightly dark straw gold with no head. Aroma is super funky, very yeasty with hints of barnyard and cheese. Flavor is fairly sour and cheesy, also a ton of yeastiness. There is also significant apple and lemon presence. The finish is very tart, with an almost stinging feel in the back of the throat. Yum!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - DEC 15, 2004
Orange. Diminishing head. Deep aroma of peach cobbler, salmon, wet wood, grapefruit, red apple, flies, mold, cheese and horseblanket. Devastatingly horsey, funky and just plain sour. Harsh as hell. A definate teeth cleaner. Flavor seems to lean towards the grapefruit/lemon side of things but it is fairly complex and definately enjoyable.