overall
Brewed by Hanssens Artisanaal
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Dworp, Belgium

RATINGS: 942   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
As with all Gueuzes, Hanssens is a mixture of several vintages to produce a lambic which is refreshingly fruity.

This is the result of blending different lambics of different ages. The second fermentation takes place inside the bottles and therefore they are stored for minimum six months in constant temperature kept cellars.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jeppe (2631) - Ølbutikken, DENMARK - MAR 29, 2005
Pours a thin white head on a beautiful hazy golden body. The aroma is tart and dry as hell with woody and grapefruity tones and hints of cheese. The flavor is sharp, sour, tart, funky with grapefruit, wood, spontaneous fermentation and a very dry end. A nice geuze - definately not for beginners!

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - MAR 23, 2005
Nice and stinky and very well balanced. I get mostly cheese and other funk.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 10, 2005
Golden orange colour with a big white frothy head. Aroma was nasty, barnyard like with some sourness. Nice flavour, sweet match with nice sourness. Some citrusy fruit presence and a nice sour end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
larsniclas (5648) - Billdal, SWEDEN - MAR 5, 2005
Bottled. Hazy golden with a white head. Citric aroma, sour and diesel-like. Fine sourness in the flavour but also some well-balanced sweetness in th background.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 22, 2005
I sort of settled with this gueze when the barkeep let me know the Cantillon was out of stock, but I’m glad I did. Very abrupt tartness, but actually doesn’t fry your saliva glands the way some others may. This had a definite lemony zing that really settled into the soft fruitiness of the malt, while keeping a slightly chalky mouthfeel that balanced everything out rather nicely. It took me the better part of an hour to sip this one down but it was worth it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mungo (2471) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - FEB 21, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2007 May 07 Bottle (From Bitter Virtue). Pungent goaty cheese, zesty lemon and malt shows through. Refreshing tartness but not aggresive. 3.9
Feb 05 Bottle. Complex very fruity aroma. Citrus fruits and pears etc. Firm maltiness and hint of musty yeast. Quite sweet but balanced by sourness. Almost syrupy at times but pleasantly so. 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 20, 2005
Orange yellow colour, small dissapearing white head. Musty and acidic aroma, hints of stable, cheese and lemon peels. Acidic and fresh flavour of apple and lemon skins, small notes of wood and hay. Dry acidic finish of grapefruit, hay, stomach acid and wood. Good.

TChrome (1420) - Bedford, Texas, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Pours cloudy golden orange. Delicous aroma of wet wood and vinegar. Flavor is quite sour as well as many other complexities that I will sample again to try and discover. Mouthfeel is light. Truly delicous. Thank you Patrick!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2005
I love the initial fruity taste, and aroma. This beer reminded me a lot of framboise peche lambic, until the complex and funky aftertaste, which is best described as barnyard. But still quite appealing. Will have again. Lambic is quickly becoming my favorite style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Metalhead (628) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2005
This bottle was about 4 years old. It took me 3 weeks of sitting in my fridge to get the guts to actually try it. I let it sit unopened on my counter for about 20 mins or so whilst I consumed aanother beer. Popped the cork. Holy shit! You guys weren’t kidding about the barnyard,funky stench. Brought back memories of changing my kids diaper with vinegar tossed in. I started laughing so hard it took a minute to try the first sip. Wow! Funky,vinegar,tart,sour but each sip made my mouth water. The sickboy in me kept taking deep whiffs of this because I couldn’t believe I was actually drinking it. I gave my now grown daughter a sip. Her nose crinkled,her eyes watered and she ran to the fridge to get a coke. "OH,that is so gross.how can you drink that?" Beats me but I’ll buy it again.