overall
Brewed by Hanssens Artisanaal
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Dworp, Belgium

RATINGS: 918   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
As with all Gueuzes, Hanssens is a mixture of several vintages to produce a lambic which is refreshingly fruity.

This is the result of blending different lambics of different ages. The second fermentation takes place inside the bottles and therefore they are stored for minimum six months in constant temperature kept cellars.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
PapaSkeetSkeet (806) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - AUG 16, 2011
Gold, white vanishing head. Aroma is sour, sewage, and funk. Body is very light, crisp, and carbonated. Flavor is very lactic and sour, no hop bitterness, slight apple. tasted side-by-side with Oud-Beersel and Cantillon Guezes. All three had the same appearance, this one had more funky/sewage notes, less fruity notes in the aroma, and less bitterness in the flavor, although it was amazing how similar they tasted.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1649) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2002
2000: Nice light appearance. Slight taste a mash, or maybe mulch.

heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Cloudy golden, sour aroma. Not as good as I recall. The right parts are there, barnyardy aroma, strong sourness, but not particularly bright on the tongue as I remember. I will revisit, though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - APR 20, 2003
My first experience with this style...I guess I'll need more, I don't see the big deal. Light appearance, minimal head. Smells of stale pork chops, peach/nectarine fruity taste. I'll have to try more of these.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Suttree (5041) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 27, 2003
UPDATED: APR 28, 2003 Battery Acid meets Champaigne, in a good way. Also notes of Hay, grass, Lemon. Limes, and green apples. Thin Bodied and very drinkable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 10, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2004 This is a very powerful lambic. My buddy (DavidP) was drinking his six feet away and I could smell it. The aroma was very strong, and not too pleasant (though I did get used to it). Head is white and creamy. Body is a rich gold with a little haziness in it. Initial taste: WOW. Its taste was completely unexpected. Tastes like lemon champagne or something. Initial flavor is very much like sour lemons (as opposed to the sweet ones). It lightens up after that, and becomes more pleasant. The lemony flavor makes me think the aroma is like rotten lemons.

IndianaRed (2323) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 21, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2004 750 Bottle cork popped out with a loud bang. Poured a hazy honey/amber with a nice dense but small off-white head. Aroma is fruity and sour. Dry like champagne. Apricots, apple cider, and something abit off....musty... Flavor is quite sour. Very acidic, like lemons. Not quite enough sweetness or flavor to balance it for me. I thought I liked sour things, but this takes a bit getting used to. Wish I was sharing it. Different, unique and interesting enough to ern decent marks from me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kevin (2049) - New Mexico, USA - OCT 13, 2004
bottle. pours a rusty orange . aroma is of wet wool and sweat. taste is upfront tart/sour then mellows into a very sweet grapefruit flavor. this is a great sipping beverage. as it warms many layers emerge in this, and all of them are sweet and fruity. lemon and lime flavors emerge to me, this is something i need to try many more times to get a handle on.

sayravai (4667) - Helsinki, FINLAND - JUN 20, 2005
(Bottled, 0.375l) Hazy golden color with a small, white head. Very dry, sour and acidic aroma. Quite smoothly fruity, sour and dry flavor. A clean, traditional, not too sour lambic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 24, 2005
A very intresting style and I can see the intrest in the style. This went back and forth between being really,really good and really,really sour. I got apples, citrus, and a very tart finish.