overall

RATINGS: 277   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Our head brewer at our Windsor brewery homebrewed a batch of chocolate stout for himself after trying the style at a beer dinner and loving it. After several Harpooners tried Scott’s batch, we knew that we needed to add this beer to our lineup. It was originally introduced as a limited edition extra in our winter mix pack back in 2008, but it was soon apparent that our drinkers wanted more of this beer (a beer made with chocolate…not too hard to understand!), so we brought it back in 6-packs in 2010.

Description
A chocolate stout is a beer with a noticeable dark chocolate flavor. This flavor is created from the use of darker, more aromatic malt that has been roasted or kilned until it acquires a chocolate color. Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11217) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - MAY 22, 2009
@Tampa Wkly Gathering-pours a light brown head and mahogany color. Aroma is dark malt-chocolate. Taste is dark malt-chocolate, secondary earthy hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 19, 2009
WOW, a pretty terrific Sweet Stout from Harpoon! I bought the last Wintery Mix 12pk at Total Wine because it was out of date and I really wanted to try this beer before it disappeared for good. - Black thick cola like body and a velvety tan head. The aroma is a moist chocolate cake. Lightly yeasty, mocha coffee latte, fudgy toffee lusciousness! I let this warm to near room temperature for about 45min, and man, it really opened up. The hops come across with a touch of bitterness in the finish. - Well done Harpoon on this brew… especially for the funds!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
nick76 (4258) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2009
The aroma has chocolate syrup, cola, toasted malt, coffee, and vanilla. The appearance is dark red brown with a smallish head. The flavor is like the aroma with a bitter sweet finish. The palate is average for the style. Overall, I liked it but not one of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (8054) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 16, 2009
Draft at Capone’s. Pours dark brown toward black with off-tan head. Nose is roasty dark malt, dark choc, with a sweet, chocolatey taste, with dark malt, molasses, and a rich, solid palate complexity. This one was smooth as silk, like French silk pie.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Duhast500 (414) - Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA - APR 16, 2009
Held to the light this beer becomes opaque. Very black with a slight foamy brown head. Not very carbonated but the growler I had sitting in the fridge for a week so that may have been my fault. The smell, as by the name, smells strong with a chocolate flavor. Somewhat coffee in nature the smell bursts out from the first pour. Has a slight almond smell as well. The taste is smoky, somewhat with that same chocolate and coffee flavor to it. Almond and a soft hop taste rounds this brew out. If you are not used to a stout with this type of taste it may take you a sec to get used to it. The mouth feel is a bit strong. Since I like a beer that is a bit strong I was quite happy with the results. My first real experience with a beer that was chocolate flavored. I was quite happy to say that I enjoyed it very much. Serving type: growler

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
imadeadguy (378) - back in NJ!, New Jersey, USA - APR 14, 2009
12oz. Pour is pitch black with small brown head. Aromas of chocolate syrup, coffee, and roasted malts. Flavor is very roasty. Chocolate, roasted malts, coco, and coffee are all in here. Flavor is very well balanced and full. Awesome desert brew here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jeremytoni (3011) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - MAR 31, 2009
From a bottle poured brown with a small head. Nice aroma of chocolate. Flavor of sweet toasted malty with a lingering finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BroSpud (1740) - , Massachusetts, USA - MAR 2, 2009
12oz bottle. Included in Harpoon "Wintry" mix pack. This one struck me as weirdly chocolatey. Almost as if chocolate was added after the brewing process. It was pretty good though so if it is chocolate you are after this is one to get.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dlovell2 (887) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - FEB 26, 2009
Cocoa Aroma. Dark Brown color. Slight hops taste with nutty and cocoa finish. Fantastic Beer. I hope Harpoon brings this one back next winter!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 6, 2009
Pours brown with a thin tan head. Smells of cocoa. Tastes of sweet chocolate with some roasty notes. One dimensional and boring.