overall

RATINGS: 159   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.49   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
In 1986 Harpoon co-founders Rich Doyle and Dan Kenary began brewing Harpoon in Boston to share with others the joy of making—and drinking—great beer. In 2000, we added a second brewery in Windsor, Vermont to keep up with the demand. As a regional craft brewer, we gained interest and respect for cider, a drink with strong roots and history in New England. Harpoon’s cider is our contribution to the long heritage of cider made with fresh juice from locally grown apples.

Harpoon Cider is made from a blend of locally grown apples including the New England favorite, McIntosh. By fermenting this blend of varieties with our own yeast we are able to produce an aroma that has a clean, fruity character. This crisp, refreshing cider has just the right balance of ripe apple sweetness and tartness from the fruit’s natural acidity. The color of this smooth tasting cider is very light as a result of using only freshly pressed apples. Without the addition of preservatives, artificial colors, or sweeteners we have created a cider that is fresh, pure, and delicious. Enjoy!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Funknmilla (693) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2013
12oz bottle...dark ginger ale colored...smells and tastes like watered down apple juice...more sweet than crisp....a little sour on the finish...also flat, carbonation wise....I don’t hate it, but there are better ciders out there

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (2958) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 14, 2013
This stuff is pretty similar to what homebrew cider tastes like if anyone is curious only this is more sweet. I am thinking they must have arrested the fermentation somehow--which is a completely reasonable thing to do, by the way. In any case, this tastes like a more sour, less-sweet apple juice w/ a bit of a floral note and a mineraliness in the finish. I prefer my ciders w/ a bit more sparkle than this as far as carbonation goes but the lower carb in this one makes it easier to chug, which I suppose will appeal to a certain demographic. It’s a pretty good cider, better than average for sure.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
boxofrane (2198) - Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 1, 2013
From the bottle. Smells like light apple juice, tastes like watered down apple juice. Not much of a cider characteristic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jmcgavin12 (492) - Madison, USA - AUG 12, 2013
What can I say sweet sweet fruit aroma. A bit unbalanced and a little overpowering but one isnt bad to have and sometimes a cider can be refreshing!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
b3shine (5707) - Indiana, USA - JUL 31, 2013
Bottle to half-pint glass (shared with the Mrs.). Label is identical, but is listed as "Harpoon Craft Cider". Looks sub-par; a transparent gold with no real carbonation or lacing. Smells of cheap fermented apple cider. Tastes like it smells with a slightly dry but average mouthfeel. A disappointing cider.

maza15 (1) - - JUN 17, 2013 does not count
This is the best cider on the market hands down. It is made with beer yeast and not champagne yeast like other ciders. Phenomenal taste in comparison to other ciders on the market!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
geologyguy (741) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - APR 25, 2013
not nearly as good as other ciders on the market (windy hill/angry orchard) kinda bland...mostly water...not a lot of flavor....would be a drink to consume a lot of in the sun...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
sliderider (4) - - FEB 18, 2013 does not count
Not a very good cider. I’ve been a regular drinker of Woodchuck and Magners’ and this doesn’t even come close. I passed up the chance to try Strongbow for this? Appearance and aroma are nice, but the taste is sour beyond my tolerance. Even Woodchuck Granny Smith wasn’t this sour when I tried it. Nothing really nice I can say about this cider. Next time I’m trying Strongbow.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
Erikh04 (124) - - FEB 16, 2013
Definitely not the best cider I’ve had. A little watery. Funny alcohol and apple smell. Would not drink again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
TURDFERGUSON (3963) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 15, 2013
Bottle at Beer Study promotional tasting. Apple juice color, no head. Nose is light apple, sweet, minerals. Similar flavor. A little too sweet for my tastes.