overall

RATINGS: 1535   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopnpop (69) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 19, 2003
A truly wonderful tasting IPA. Could use more aroma though. The biggest disappointment however is the aftertaste, or lack thereof. It mysteriously disappers. Perhaps this beer should be called the UFO...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - JUN 17, 2003
I tried this beer on tap at Legal Seafood on Long Island. It was easily the best beer in the place because it was about the only decent brew they had. Nice amber color, good floral nose. Hops bite was more than moderate but somewhat subdued for an American version of IPA. Nice and very drinkable. I'd definitely have another pint or two.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
guzzler67 (1509) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - JUN 12, 2003
Amber hue; fruity, floral aroma. Moderately hoppy. This IPA whispers more than it shouts. Modest clean finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - MAY 28, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2004 rerate: Medium gold color (lighter than I remember) with moderate head. Crisp hops flavor in moderation (definately not a West Coast IPA).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jjw2000 (72) - USA - MAY 2, 2003
Light golden color with a substantial dense white head. Aroma primarily of hops. Flavor is crisp, smooth and primarily hoppy with piney hints although not overwhelmingly so. Somewhat sweet in the middle. Finish is citrusy slightly bitter hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - MAY 1, 2003
My first Harpoon brewery beer was this one. Wow! When I opened the bottle, the aroma of hops literally took my breath away. It is loaded with fresh hops aroma & taste. It poured out a nice, straw yellow color, with a dense, rocky white head on it. My first sip opened my sinuses like crazy. It has so much hops in it, it actually made my nose run when I sipped it. This is a great beer to have with spicy Mexican food, chili, or anything really hot and spicy. It can stand up to the hottest food with no problems whatsoever. A really good beer in my book.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - APR 30, 2003
A pleasing light IPA. Not the beer for hopheads but wonderful for those who are interested in a lighter IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 27, 2003
Surprisingly uninteresting example of my favorite style. Good reddish amber appearance. After that, my impressions were that this started as a real IPA and then was cut with a lot of water. Not much malt, not much hops, none of the strong pine, grapefruit, or orange flavor I associate with American IPAs using west coast hops. Not bad, just really uninteresting. Easy to drink with lobster, but hard to get excited about. I guess I'd rather have a Bass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 12, 2003
Creamy white head. Floral, hoppy aroma, but not over the top. First hoppy bitter, then sweet, then back to kind of a bitter iron taste. Very tastey brew, I would have liked to see it hazy, but just a personal preference.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 12, 2003
On tap: beautiful floral aroma, bright orange color. Good amount of hops, citrus flavor, somewhat sweet aftertaste. Easy to drink, good session brew that you can find at many bars.