overall

RATINGS: 1514   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 26, 2002
Produces a nice head and clear copper color. Good hoppie taste with a nice slighlty bitter aftertaste. This is the first one I have had, but I would have to say it ranks among my favorite IPA’s.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - FEB 26, 2002
Clear, dark golden. Nice head and lace. Dry hopped nose with hints of cooked vegetables(thats what i smell) Sweet but subdued malt backbone washed away by dry hopped bitterness. Its decent but lacks any real character, seems like it was thrown together. Does grow on you as you drink it, the flavors meld together a bit. Average.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jomurray99 (10) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Great IPA. But still falls short of the hop devil.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
noer1 (109) - Massachusetts, USA - FEB 2, 2002
Way too much hops for my liking, even for an I.P.A. , still a good beer, but definitely the breweries worst beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
homebrewer799 (12) - Roslindale, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 21, 2002
A very good beer for hopheads. VERY hoppy. Don’t drink this beer on your lunch break, last time I did, I got busted (strong aroma) ;-)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 15, 2002
Nice copper appearance. Had it for the first time up at the Cape. Draft version is superior to the bottled. It does have a nice but not overly hoppy snap to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2002
the aroma I thought was low, especially for being a ’floral beer’ as described. The apperance was crisp and clean. The flavor I enjoyed, a distinct finish, and I thought somewhat of a fruit flavor in the middle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 11, 2002
More of a plain amber ale than an IPA. Not enough hops! There was little in the way of a creamy head and was an overall dissapointment as an IPA

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - DEC 28, 2001
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2007 Bottled, 2001. I don’t get the high ratings on this one, sorry. To me, a slightly above average IPA with lager coloring (nice head though), a weak nose with faint hop/caramel notes, and an average (but well-balanced) flavor. The balance and the hefty body and hoppy finish give it the rating it gets from me. I’ll probably retry it though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jakeb4299 (25) - sometown, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 1, 2001
MMMM, Harpoon IPA. Gotta love it. Very hoppy, so be forewarned.