overall

RATINGS: 1562   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
openwindow (67) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 4, 2005
One of the two standards, in my book, for American IPA’s (the other being Sierra Nevada). Floral and hoppy aroma from a dull straw color. Good hoppy bite upon first tasting. I actually prefer this beer a few degrees above room temp, as I think more hop flavors appear. All in all, a well deserved staple pull at most NE pubs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
matthewgerke (67) - - NOV 26, 2012
Bottle. Poured orange with a white head. Good aroma which made it clear it wouldn’t be an overpowering IPA. Taste followed suit with a good balance of hops, citrus and malt and a moderate bitter finish. Nothing outstanding but easy drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
pianotu (67) - USA - JAN 29, 2013
Very drinkable with wonderful piny aroma. It captures the perfect middle ground between a strong (too bitter) and a light (too light-weight) IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wilecat (66) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Very good. The best harppon ale out there

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 25, 2008
I have poured this into a mug. It is slightly darker than a light golden. The nose is of spicy hops, with a sprinkling of malt. This tastes pretty good. I would say that the flavor is leaning slightly toward the hop end of the scale, but not by much. This might be a good way to introduce someone to craft beer. The mouthfeel is smooth, despite the moderate carbonation. The drinkability is good, although I wouldn’t have too many since I prefer beers that smack me upside my head with flavor. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 08-26-2005 05:56:23 --

sickboy79 (66) - USA - JUL 18, 2009
This is hands down on of my personal favorite IPAs. It was also my introduction to IPAs a few years back. A wonderful bitter citrus flavor that is just amazing to my tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mk70 (64) - New York, USA - MAR 11, 2007
Not the most flavor for an ipa and lacking malt. Flavor wasn’t too distinct other than hops but enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mataichi (63) - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - FEB 6, 2010
12oz bottles. Pours a nice copper orange with a thick head. Aroma of resin/piny hops. It is well balanced with the other tastes and senses. Compared to the other IPAs I’ve had, this is a bit on the light side. There is not the overpowering punch in the face of hops. Which, depending on your mood could be a good thing. Probably to light for the hardcore hop heads. Maybe a good introduction into the IPA arena. All in all a very nice tasting beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
WesBeerGuy (62) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - MAY 7, 2005
I used to love this stuff, but after trying all sorts of better beers in the last year or so, I was disappointed when I bought a case of this. The hops is definitely the dominant aroma and flavor here, but just isn’t strong enough for me to think of it as a true IPA. More like a hoppier-than-usual american pale. Nonetheless, a good inexpensive session beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
mnovacanes (61) - Crestwood, Illinois, USA - FEB 19, 2009
Since this was on tap, this will not be as thorough of a review as I would like, but rather represents a ballpark estimate: Appearance: actually not bad; good head retention for a white, fluffy head; Aroma: was not impressed; somewhat closed; have to default to an average rating and this might be giving the benefit of the doubt Flavor: did notice some fruity citrus from cascade hops but it was like they were skimping on the amount that they added; no threat of being bitter, but also needed something else to add complexity, even if it was malt Mouthfeel: did not stand out in my mind as terrible so I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt again