overall

RATINGS: 98   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Our interpretation of this English style ale is deep garnet red in color with a distinct malt backbone balanced by a unique blend of hops. Cheers!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mat42m (160) - orlando, Florida, USA - APR 10, 2012
From bottle served in snifter. Slight semi sweet, fruity aroma. Fairly hazy, amber color with minimal head. Very bitter taste. Fairly strong bitter finish with a medium body. Overall not really my favorite beer. Too hoppy without much other flavors coming through.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
crusianbeer (116) - Texas, USA - DEC 1, 2010
pous a very dark amber color with about a finger of head. nose is thick with sweet, brown sugary molasses, hops, and alcohol burn. yum. lol taste is about spot on with the nose. Very sweet, with a strong brown sugary molasses flavor. Alcohol on the finish is definitely there, but the burn is not too bad due to the hops and the sweet making it pretty smooth. Makes me wonder what this would do in the cellar... a little thin for my tastes, as the barleywines I have been liking lately have been pretty thick. But, overall not too bad an attempt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zimm421 (57) - Ohio, USA - JAN 17, 2013
On draft, served in a snifter, 2010 per the menu. Has a great color, with decent head. Has a great nose, and the palate is sticky. Taste finishes slightly bitter, but has great underlying malt base. Good beer, but didn’t blow me away.

Haast (37) - Texas, USA - MAR 26, 2011
Bottle from Hyde Park Market. Pour is reddish brown with a thin, off-white head which dissipated quickly. Beer itself had nice carbonation for a high ABV beer. Mouthfeel is thick and slick. Aroma is sweet and malty, with a lot of warming alcohol flvor on the finish. A bit of tart, piney hop flavor is present as well. I found it to be a nice, well balanced barleywine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
neckbracesub (31) - Anderson, Indiana, USA - FEB 20, 2012
My father and I each bought this in a mix-and-match six pack because we are on a mission to try as many barleywine ales as possible ever since we both fell in love with them a few years back when we tried the insatiable Old Curmudgeon from Founder’s. If you asked him, he would tell you that this one - Harpoon’s Leviathan - ranks in the bottom rung of his barleywine chart, but I liked it considerably more than he did. Other than a small bite in the aftertaste (which is not big enough to enough discount the beer too much) this is a solid barleywine with the classic strong aroma you come to expect from the brew. I can’t say that it ranks with the best of the bunch in its kind, but I enjoyed all 12 oz. of the bottle I purchased the other night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PBoegel (29) - New York, USA - NOV 19, 2010
Bottled on day 316 of 2010, this beer is extremely fresh and has the alcohol warming in the nose and taste to prove it. Not harshly aromatic or burning, just young. Aromas are fig, raisin, cherry and white grape juice, oak tannins and a touch of lemon, sugar cookie and biscuit malt. medium bodied and quite drinkable beyond the alcohol warmth in the finish, with a delicate bitterness and moderately light carbonation. The flavor profile has notes of port and sherry with toasty and nutty characters coming upfront. The finish is semi-sweet with raisin, white grapes, brown sugar and bittersweet chocolate. There is little to speak of in the way of hops in his beer, touches of earthy herbal and lemon zest, but this is a beer in which the malt & alcohol co-mingle and shine. A very nice night cap, with lots of character and a nice malt contrast to the over indulgent American Barley wines of today.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Festus69 (18) - - DEC 24, 2012
Yes, this is one great tasting barleywine maybe it is a tad watery and pricy however I could drink this one all day and night. It is simple and sometimes simple is best. I enjoy all of Harpoon’s offerings.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OLoingsigh (4) - Clermont, Florida, USA - JUL 16, 2012 does not count
Smelled like fermented fruit. Tasted a bit floral. I liked it better at our near room temp.