overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 505   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The original German Oktoberfest was brewed with one celebratory festival in mind. Harpoon Octoberfest is brewed with TWO festivals in mind; our Octoberfests at our breweries in Boston, MA and Windsor, VT. We love the style and it’s a great beer for the fall season. In true Octoberfest tradition, we threw our first festival here at the brewery in 1990. There were a couple thousand people here celebrating amidst the brewing tanks. We can’t quite fit everyone in the actual brewery now – last year nearly 18,000 revelers attended our Boston Octoberfest and nearly 7,000 joined us at our brewery in Vermont the following weekend. Prost!

Description
Harpoon Octoberfest is a malty tribute to fall, balanced by a gentle hop bitterness. In keeping with tradition, it is a Marzen-style beer, brewed with abundant quantities of Munich, Chocolate, and Pale malts. Those malts provide a solid, full body and create the beer’s deep color. It is a rich, flavorful beer.

fauxpunker's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fauxpunker (76) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - NOV 13, 2012
Bottle. Not much aroma, good golden color. Clean, bright mouth feel. Surprised. Usually find lagers lacking, but enjoyed this one. Easy to drink with some depth. Slight breadiness that I liked. Would drink again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
hockeybeerguy (893) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - MAR 27, 2014
Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a caramel-amber body with a slightly creamy white film of a head. Carbonation seen rising. The smell had mild hops with some caramel malts. The taste was sweet through the malts, not as balanced as I would have hoped. The palate sat about a light to medium, slightly creamy, sessionable, no aftertaste or finish. Overall, good for the style, decent to me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nekronos (3594) - Xalapa, MEXICO - MAR 23, 2014
Very nice but quite watery as many of this brewery ones. NIce lager hints and not so much an Oktoberfest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
rumproasts (2549) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 17, 2014
bottle. deep amber with small head. very average oktoberfest style. caramel malt and light hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
ROBC3366 (357) - north reading, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 17, 2014
Pours brown with a tan head. Aroma of malt, spice and nuts. Taste is roasted malts and spices. Palate is a bit too spicy for style. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jrodooo5 (802) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - FEB 22, 2014
Yet another malty, bland & just blah beer. I’m not a huge octoberfest fan. They are drinkable which I suppose is their point for existence but just not complex or memorable. The orange/reddish pour is kinda cool tho. This one is ok & pretty much like all the rest.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Bierkrug (2108) - Garmisch-Partenkirchen (In USA), Bavaria, GERMANY - FEB 6, 2014
355 ml bottle from Crown in Pompano Beach, Florida. Pours brown with a tan head. Aroma of malt, spice and nuts. Taste is roasted malts and spices. Palate is a bit too spicy for style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TATE (265) - Lubec, Maine, USA - JAN 31, 2014
Bottle. Pours a deep amber with a thick off white head with lots of lacing. Citrus aroma. Flavor is lighter than I was expecting. Fruity up front with a bit of alcohol that seems to come through though alcohol is not high. This quickly replaced by a light hop bite. Pretty good overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
smcolw (529) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 27, 2014
Pours a strong amber color (darker than a typical Marzen). Appears to be clear. Very nice head, rocky and thick. Modest ring lace given the froth. Malty with a strong cream (slightly soured) aroma. Drier than I expected given the smell. Still, it’s a malty and thick brew. Nice finishing hop in the swallow which continues through the short-lived aftertaste. The body is rich, but has a high level of carbonation. Overall, I’d say this is a good beer with some nice departures from the typical Octoberfest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Brandon1989 (228) - Euless, Texas, USA - JAN 7, 2014
pours a brown color with a small head. the aroma is chocolate and bready. the taste is very similar and i enjoyed this beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Swamp_Thing (27) - Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2014
Did I get a bad six-pack? Undated bottle from Total Wine. Bland, reminds me of a Michelob more than anything. Malty, watery. I’m giving the other 5 bottles to my friends that enjoy Miller Lite - not kidding - I think they will like it.