Harpoon UFO Big Squeeze Shandy

Serve in Shaker

RATINGS: 122   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92/5   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
When we first started thinking of a UFO summer seasonal, we knew we had our work cut out for us. We loaded up the vans for the beach and spent days ďresearchingĒ every combination of fresh fruit juice and beer we could think of until we discovered a combination that made our decision easy.

Made with grapefruit juice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
CharmCityCrab (244) - Maryland, USA - AUG 9, 2016
I am usually not a fan of shandys. To me, when you mix half beer with half something else, the result is not a beer, itís a hybrid. I like beer. However, the "not a beer" gut reaction aside, this shandy is actually pretty good. It has grapefruit, sugar, and beer tastes with just a hint of tangyiness. I actually went through these pretty fast in the mix pack they came in, so Iím reviewing from memory. Itís surprising, because I bought them not realizing that this beer was a shandy for whatever reason (Maybe because the it was a Harpoon "UFO" and I thought that the UFO tag was a specific beer Iíd had in the past rather than a sort of sub-label that includes several different drinks in itís "line") , and figured itíd be the part of the mix pack thatíd sit for a while, but, actually, it went really fast. For whatever reason, itís what I wanted to reach for a lot of the time. I still donít feel itís a real beer, but as a beverage, itís pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
gripweed57 (1385) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - JUL 30, 2016
12 ounce bottle. Cloudy orange gold color. Small white head disapates quickly. Aroma is redolent of grapefruit and overripe oranges. Tangy grapefruit flavor dominates the palate. Bittersweet fruit from start to finish. Highly carbonated. Cloying bittersweet fruit finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ROGUE (2200) - Lewes, Delaware, USA - JUL 27, 2016
On tap at SLL tasting. Pours a hazy yellowish-orange color. The nose is super citrusy but more like overripe oranges and grapefruits than fresh fruit. Grapefruit and orange flavors abound but this light-bodied concoction is more like a cocktail than a beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ron (3618) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 7, 2016
Bottle. This poured a hazy light orange color with a white head. Aroma was pretty much all grapefruit juice. Flavor was similar with grainy character as well. Not really a great beer but not a bad drink and refreshing after a game of disc golf.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaBeer1972 (1839) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2016
Bottle from Table and Vine. A super cloudy pinkish orange color with a frothy off white head. Thick grapefruit juice texture and flavor. Refreshing and decent overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Larry_Duffman (386) - - JUN 29, 2016
I had it from the bottle. The taste is grapefruit, orange, and wheat. The citrus is fresh and refreshing. This is a good summer beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ronaldtheriot (1801) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - JUN 25, 2016
Harpoonís UFO Big Squeeze Shandy has a thick, fizzy white head, which goes right away and an opaque orange-pink appearance. No lacing is left behind. The aroma is of grapefruit and sweet, somewhat yeasty, pale malt. Taste is of that, with no noticeable bitterness and a nice fruit tartness. Mouthfeel is high medium, and UFO Big Squeeze finishes medium dry and highly drinkable. RJT

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Art (3154) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 20, 2016
Brews n chews. Seems like grapefruit shandys are my weakness. Cloudy orange yellow pour. Aromas of big grapefruit and orange citrus. Super refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
polo_marco (322) - milton, Vermont, USA - JUN 6, 2016
Smells of bitter rhymes and grapefruit juice. A nice super cloudy off pink like color with small white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Sweet multi flavor followed by really bitter grapefruit juice. Very refreshing on the palate. Light body with beautiful carbonation. Very refreshing definitely a great summer beer. Nice brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
McNeillR (2235) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAY 30, 2016
A decent dulled hazy orange and whispy film of head. Nose is earthy cereal, zest and woodiness. Initial taste is gritty soft tart, fairly thin juiciness and grainy. Firm carbonation and a clean enough break on the mouthfeel. Finishes lean, a bit tangy/savoury rather than sweet grapefruit and citrus and lingers swift and sunny dryness. Iíd not have guessed this came from a big US brewery rather than a local new-start unless you told me - I ordered it based on knowing it was new to me so entered the notes with lack of bias apart from the price!

Keg, Dead Crafty, Liverpool