Harringtons Brewer’s Selection Imperial APA

overall
Brewed by Harringtons Breweries (Christchurch)
Style: American Strong Ale
Christchurch, New Zealand
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 15   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
czar (4515) - Québec, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 25, 2014
from bottle at mondial 2014, mtl. hazy golden pour with a nice off-white-orange head, some retention and lacing. doughy and honeyed maltiness, mangoes, melons, citrus, pepper, booze, hint of tropical notes. moderate carbonation, medium body - oily, balanced short to medium long tropical-piney-citrusy finish. nice stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AlainG (1286) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 21, 2014
Elle est blonde un peu embrouillée et réussi à laisser des traces au verre. Le nez est de verdure diverse. Houblon, agrumes incertains et un beau bouquet floral. Toutes ces odeurs sont d’une autre palette. Le goût est résineux, floral, une belle amertume nous titille la langue, c’est fruité avec une finale sucrée. L,arrière-goût est très long en amertume et celle-ci est résineuse. Très agréable. Et un fait surprenant, l’alcool est très bien intégré et jamais il ne montre sa puissance. (1097-120614)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Boutip (4775) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 19, 2014
Bottle: Poured a hazy beige color ale with a medium size foamy head. Aroma of light fruity hops notes with light citrus undertones and dry malt base is good enough. Taste is a mix between some fruity hops with light citrus undertones and a dry caramel malt base. Body is full enough with good carbonation. Not bad but falls a bit short on the hops flavours which may be due to extended trip to Canada.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Eructoblaster (3058) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 15, 2014
Bottle - 500ml at Mondial de la Bière (Montréal, QC). Cloudy golden body with an average, lasting, off-white foamy head. Fresh hoppy aroma with malty and citrusy hints. Alcohol is well hidden. Its sharp hoppy taste carries mango, orange, and herbal notes. Ends with a long bitter finis. Enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lubiere (10147) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 15, 2014
A hazed amber ale with a thin white head. In aroma, sweet fruity caramel malt with light floral and citrusy hops. In mouth, a sweet fruity caramel malt with sweet orange, nutty, OK. Bottle at Mondial 2014.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Leonardus (41) - - APR 28, 2014
UPDATED: APR 30, 2014 Well, Jimthechap has said it all really. What more can I say, this is perhaps the best iAPA I have ever tasted, right from the first mouthful, I knew I was onto a winner! Well done Harringtons to serve up this beaut. I’ve just tried a 2nd bottle of this delightful drop. Orange peel and sweetness hit my taste-buds first up. The hops I am unfamiliar with, but they are interestingly citrus and sweet. And it is a sweet beer, with a good nose, and surprisingly for 9.5% does not come across as overpowering or give the impression of being ’rushed’ in the brewing process to obtain that potency (I often wonder about the sugar content of these high alcohol beers). I definitely enjoyed it again, but what beer you drink prior to tasting this drop can determine your lasting impressions of it. I will purchase again, if only for the warm fuzzies and nice after-taste it leaves you with at completion of consuming.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sideshow11 (12) - NEW ZEALAND - FEB 21, 2014
Great tasting beer. Very drinkable and suprisingly good . It's defiantly one I'll repeat.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Brodies_Best (248) - Auckland Central, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 1, 2013
500 ml bottle pours golden with long lasting decent almost frothy head. Amazing floral hops coming through in the aroma. After my first swig it’s sweet giving me a slight headache. Weird. Thought I would taste a lot but feels like I was distracted by something then it was a sweet aftertaste. The aroma has hints of pine nut. The aftertaste is bitter and there?s a sort of pulpy oily texture left on the tongue that I don?t understand. My tongue is kind of numb. Never had that before. Looks good smells good but not my kind of beer I guess.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jimthechap (1692) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 22, 2013
I’m struggling a bit because this beer has gone under my radar despite the brewery being no less than a furlong from my office. I dropped by to pick up my workplace Friday beers and saw this in the chiller. I’m glad I reached into my pocket for this, and unusually for her, so is Mrs Jimthechap because this beer has her unqualified approval. It looks like it should: clear golden amber with a good thick skim of white head that has left good lace down the glass. Powerful aromas of stonefruit - peaches, apricots, nectarines and then a good lungful of resin, amber malt and pastry. Throw on a dusting of green pine needles and there’s an adequate description of the aroma. In the mouth there is a quick burst of barely ripe fruit and then a wave of red toffee, resinous amber and some slightly sweet candi-sugar. Then it is bitter and warm, gratifyingly so. It leaves a lingering finish and a lust to spend more money on more of this beer. Harringtons must take all of my money. Right now. Take it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DKL (46) - NEW ZEALAND - OCT 11, 2013
Bottle. Medium gold colour with little head. Aroma of wild honey and guava. Flavours of tangerine and pear with a short, bitter finish. Surprisingly sweet for such high alcohol (9.5%). Alcohol is quite pronounced. Fairly strong yeasty notes reminiscent of a Trappist ale.