Brewed by Harringtons Breweries (Christchurch)
Style: Pilsener
Christchurch, New Zealand

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

Tonybaldeagle's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tonybaldeagle (61) - - JUN 1, 2013
A well balanced pilsner that delivers a delicious pilsner bite without overpowering the hoppy flavour. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kiwianer (3319) - Otorohanga, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 28, 2014
The head is ok, the body blond. It smells malty, hoppy, bit fruity. The taste is hoppy, bitter, bit flowery. OK!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
skortila (4436) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - JAN 26, 2014
Bottled. New Zealand holiday 2011-12. Old notes. Aroma has citric hoppiness mainly. Slightly hazy, golden coloured beer with a white head. The taste is light bitter, has some pale maltiness and citric hops. Refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Travlr (9998) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 17, 2013
Draft at the source, courtesy of staff, thanks! Clear golden color. Aroma of bright grass and light licorice. Taste is clean and crisp enough.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DylansDad (300) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 8, 2013
First sniff is not what I was expecting from a pilsener; a very nice malt driven ale aroma with a hint of floral or citrusy hops just poking through. First taste is the same. It’s not until I’m a fair way into my well-laced glass that I can say without doubt this is a pilsener. A very elegant and smooth 6.5% Pilsener. Mmmmm, Pilsener. And I’m not what you’d call a lager guy. Now I couldn’t help myself, I’ve just cracked a bottle of the best Pilsener in the world (big call, I know), a Tuatara Bohemian Pilsener (5%) and pseudo craft Pilly, a Boundary Road Bouncing Czech (5.2%) and I’m having a 3-way Pilly drink off. It’s OK, my wife is overseas on business and my Mum is staying to help take care of my son. As expected, the BRB shows its runner-up status, which is still commendable against these two delicious beers. The Anvil has given me new faith that the, to me at least, relatively boring world of lagers, is actually capable of much more interesting variation than I otherwise thought possible. Yeah, Baby!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
omega (681) - NEW ZEALAND - FEB 11, 2012
Big hop aromas and the palate is dry and bitter up front. Good length of flavours. Is a bit one dimensional, but on the whole a good hoppy beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brodies_Best (234) - Auckland Central, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 14, 2012
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2012 Creamy head, tan and low. Golden, cloudy, floral, passionfruit. Clean hoppy bitter fruity. As it warms the flavour becomes more malty and sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jimthechap (1570) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 13, 2011
Hazy golden yellow with a soft white head that subsides over time. Richly hopped, grassy and fulsome dry citrus aromas. Smells inviting and of golden malt. Tastes sweet and hoppy on the first flush of flavours, which becomes lemon citrus and rewardingly bitter. There’s a lovely pillowy mouthfeel, like a beer flavoured marshmallow and then juicy, sherberty and refreshing. Big like. An excellent beer.