overall
Brewed by Harringtons Breweries (Christchurch)
Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
Christchurch, New Zealand

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 2.77/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.76   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
the high hopping of harringtons brewers selection IPA is not only noticeable in the nose but especiailly in the finish. the lingering bitter finish of this beer is not harsh or stringent, but crisp and pronounced. Hop tremor IPA is crafted by harringtons brewers with no less than 7 hop additions.

buzz_and_hum's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
buzz_and_hum (153) - Wellington, - FEB 1, 2012
Bright and bubble marmlade aroma from a chestnut-coloured ale with a fine head. Very sweet in the mouth, an odd sourness there as well. Texture odd - full and oily, but also gently soothingly soft. Thereís a long hoppy bitter aftertaste, but not entirely pleasant - the off-note stinky sourness lingers around too. Not a great IPA, Iím afraid. I wanted to like this, but I think itís gone wrong somewhere.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Brodies_Best (260) - Auckland Central, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 27, 2013
500 ml bottle pours amber with off white head that fades quickly. Aroma of strawberry, peaches, banana, herbs, caramel malty sweetness, alcohol and floral hops. Taste is very sweet with a dry syrup aftertaste. Gave me a mild headache as me and very sweet things donít get on. Kinda reminds me of cough syrup for some reason. Bit of an anticlimax for me personally but overall I think itís an okay drop.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
beer-yum (602) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - APR 5, 2013
A very disappointing brew. Claims the use of seven hops but seems a clear case of quantity over quality to me. Totally incoherent initial taste wasnít great and it only got worse from there. Steer clear would be my recommendation.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Pdubyah (424) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 17, 2012
Iím sorry thatís it a swing and a miss for this as a beer that sort of announces a "hop tremor" perhaps my understanding of that might have been made askew by too many B grade movies, I expected snakes on a plane, swamp monster, gargantuan things, a Bruce Willis action thriller, this is a bit Hugh Grant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cantabrian (883) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 21, 2012
Beats me why some people are so critical of this great beer. Nothing to criticise, really, except for the apalling presentation. But past the lazy label, it only pleases. Pours cloudy amber with an off-white soft head. Streaks of cinamon-speckeld cream on top of the foamy white as you pour all the bottle contents. Wonderful nose of dessert wine. Surely they have the right hops, which is not too hard when youíre adding 7 varieties. Well balanced flavour, with maltsí sweetness and just a touch of citrus well hidden by the floral hops, making a clever use of bitterness. For sure it is bitter and it is hoppy. Round finsih, complex with bitterness and sweetness expanding around the palate, but at the same time simple, not overwhelming each other, neither the taste buds. That is what an IPA is supposed to be! Maybe itís only me, but if anyone thinks the West Coast IPAs, desecrated by EXCESSIVE use of hops, are any better, itís the same as finding that Thai curries should be the standard for Goulash.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mkel07 (3741) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - AUG 27, 2012
On tap at Archive. Lots of full hoppy citrus flavours and very floral on the nose. Solid amber colour with a soft white head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jimthechap (1792) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 24, 2012
It was going to be difficult for this beer to miss the mark given that Iím back from a 27hr take home test and I just wrote my arse off. So I poured this beer and accidentally let some sediment in. To be fair it came gushing out with a fair bit left still to pour, but what it looses in looks itíll gain in flavour Iím sure. Excellent amber colour with a persistent half finger of cream coloured head sitting rockily on top of the beer. Just a touch hazy with floating pieces of sediment in it. Aroma is a little bit subdued, definitely not a typical West Coast IPA, but then Iím all for refinement. A niff of hoppiness but not earth shattering. Flavour is of... bloody hell! Bloody hell! Someone put West Coast IPA in my glass without me noticing! Spruce, resin and generous hop bitterness abound. Then orange marmalade malt flavours and a good enduring finish. Right tasty this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
omega (724) - NEW ZEALAND - FEB 12, 2012
Unlike previous comments I think this beer does have some hops. In fact I think it actually has too many that it is making the beer confused. I was sitting here thinking it reminded me of a stout. And yes I know how stupid that last sentence sounds. The longer the bottle has been open and has time to breathe, the more it resembles an IPA. To me this beer it is lacking a vibrancy about it. I like hops, but obviously not the hops they added to this bad boy.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
gnat2006 (12) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 5, 2011
Aroma of malt and alcohol, taste of malt and alcohol, leading to an alcohol and nasty home-brew finish. I had long wondered why Harringtonís never produced an IPA, and I now know the answer: they do not appear to know an IPA is. This had no discernable hop aroma or flavour and I prefer a home-brew-kit IPA over this. Very disappointing and it suggests that have not done appropriate levels of tastings in developing this beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
kiwi_daz (47) - NEW ZEALAND - OCT 28, 2011
completely underwhelming, no hop aroma, no hop flavour. Lots of fusel alcohol heat........ HAving said that the malt flavours are nice. wouldnt buy again.