Harringtons Brewer’s Selection Imperial APA

Brewed by Harringtons Breweries (Christchurch)
Style: American Strong Ale
Christchurch, New Zealand
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 2.99/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sideshow11 (9) - NEW ZEALAND - FEB 21, 2014 does not count
Great tasting beer. Very drinkable and suprisingly good . It's defiantly one I'll repeat.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Brodies_Best (228) - Auckland Central, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 1, 2013
500 ml bottle pours golden with long lasting decent almost frothy head. Amazing floral hops coming through in the aroma. After my first swig it’s sweet giving me a slight headache. Weird. Thought I would taste a lot but feels like I was distracted by something then it was a sweet aftertaste. The aroma has hints of pine nut. The aftertaste is bitter and there?s a sort of pulpy oily texture left on the tongue that I don?t understand. My tongue is kind of numb. Never had that before. Looks good smells good but not my kind of beer I guess.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jimthechap (1479) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 22, 2013
I’m struggling a bit because this beer has gone under my radar despite the brewery being no less than a furlong from my office. I dropped by to pick up my workplace Friday beers and saw this in the chiller. I’m glad I reached into my pocket for this, and unusually for her, so is Mrs Jimthechap because this beer has her unqualified approval. It looks like it should: clear golden amber with a good thick skim of white head that has left good lace down the glass. Powerful aromas of stonefruit - peaches, apricots, nectarines and then a good lungful of resin, amber malt and pastry. Throw on a dusting of green pine needles and there’s an adequate description of the aroma. In the mouth there is a quick burst of barely ripe fruit and then a wave of red toffee, resinous amber and some slightly sweet candi-sugar. Then it is bitter and warm, gratifyingly so. It leaves a lingering finish and a lust to spend more money on more of this beer. Harringtons must take all of my money. Right now. Take it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DKL (46) - NEW ZEALAND - OCT 11, 2013
Bottle. Medium gold colour with little head. Aroma of wild honey and guava. Flavours of tangerine and pear with a short, bitter finish. Surprisingly sweet for such high alcohol (9.5%). Alcohol is quite pronounced. Fairly strong yeasty notes reminiscent of a Trappist ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
DylansDad (295) - NEW ZEALAND - OCT 4, 2013
Nice hoppy aroma with a sticky sweetness, looks ok. Taste at the front is pretty good for a split second, but the mouthfeel is thin, and from then on the taste and body compress themselves to a sharp point, ending in spicy alcoholic bitter sting at the end. The hop flavours are good, but they aren’t well enough grounded by the malt.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Pdubyah (268) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 20, 2013
Now then, now then, now then. And bear in mind I’m probably wrong...... I’m going out on a limb here....Want a Fine Belgium Style tribute ale - Top heavy caramel\malt beer with a seeming alcohol edge, ace, As an IAPA, *sadface* Not what I expected and what I got was too much like things I like that are not this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
omega (638) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 30, 2013
Poured with a frothy head. Quite clear for an IAPA and the alcohol is hidden by a hint of sweetness. Not overly hoppy, but one of the better beers that I have had from Harringtons.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Travlr (9999) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 11, 2013
Beervana volunteer beer. Bottle. Clear golden color, thick whitebhead, solid lacing. Aroma of grass, hay, light scallions. Taste is bitter grass and citrus. Light body.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
lisagirl (262) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 24, 2013
average. alcohol well hidden under a fair amount of malty sweetness, but beyond that sweetness there isn’t an awful lot going on, a little APA bitterness coming through. pretty bland for such a high ABV.