Hart & Thistle Hop Mess Monster v2.0

Formerly brewed at Hart & Thistle
Style: Imperial/Double IPA
Halifax, Canada

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 4.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   IBU: 1066   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Doubling a mighty 533 theoretical IBUs of the original Monster, v.2.0 clocks in at 1066 theoretical IBUs with a lighter but equally satisfying 9.2% ABV. This beer has been marred with pure hopdonkulous deliciousness and insanity, just because I can. Messie reigns as Canadaís most aggressively hopped beer, possibly the hoppiest beer in the world but honestly who cares. I didnít design this beer to win any contests, rather for the full-on unforgettable experience of hop oil in your glass. Brewing the Monster was a challenging process with tremendous wort loss, there were no extracts used. Itís been infused with hop pellets as well as whole hops throughout each stage of the brewing process totaling just over 18.5 pounds per barrel. The beer is a testament to just how wonderful these glorious flowers can be - itís been mash-hopped, first-wort-hopped, bitter-hopped, flavour-hopped, aroma-hopped, hop-bursted and dry-hopped again and again. If youíre wondering why Iíve downgraded the ABV to 9.2% from the 11% ABV of the original last year itís because I couldnít fit any more malt in the mash-tun, it was literally full to the top with the massive quantities of hops added. Messie v.2.0 is a liquid hop delivery vehicle exactly as it was intended it to be.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bendrixian (1069) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - MAY 31, 2011
This beer is excellence in a glass. I refuse to rate all the beers brewed here, and indeed some of the tastiest brews iíve ever been privy to have come from Mr. Nash himself, but mostly because i feel these beers are meant to be enjoyed, celebrated even, for what they are. These beers are a one shot, love it till itís gone and have a second while your at it, celebration of the effect hop flowers can have on the human soul. I wonder sometimes, they say we have THC receptors, well, these beers make me wonder if we have Humulus lupus alpha/beta acid receptors. I donít care what the price is of this beer. This beer is a celebration of what hops can have on the taste buds. This beer makes me belch hops, keeps me asking dreaming about it during my lunch hour at work and makes me cry when iím not beside it. love it. There are no malts in the aroma of this brew, she is citrus, resinous, hoppy and finishes bitter. love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Atheist_Peace (928) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - MAY 28, 2011
On Tap at the Hart & Thistle (of course). Bright, cloudy orange pour with an orange/tan head. Huge notes of grapefruit and tangerine with a definite resinous quality. No discernible malt as far as I could tell. A sheer assault on the taste buds opening with that grapefruit and tangerine but sliding out into a LONG resinous pine cone bitter finish. I think it could use a little more hopping, personally.