overall
Brewed by Harviestoun
Style: Old Ale
Alva, Central, Scotland

RATINGS: 303   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Ola Dubh (or ‘Black Oil’) is a collaboration between Harviestoun Brewery and Highland Park, Distiller of the Year*. It is based on Harviestoun’s award-winning Old Engine Oil. With more than a stylistic nod to the classic Imperial Porters (and Stouts) of the nineteenth century, this deliciously rich, dark, 8% a.b.v. beer is the first ale to be aged in malt whisky casks from a named distillery and, with traceable casks and numbered bottles, the first with genuine provenance. This version is aged in Highland Park 40 Year whisky casks.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
corkitad (19) - Oregon, USA - OCT 26, 2010
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2010 Couldn’t have said it any better than Otakuden. Just do yourself a favor and buy a few of these beauties

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Elkas (213) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2010
330ml bottle from the LCBO. Special thanks to my brother in law who works downtown Toronto for leaving work early to go pick this up for me. Pours black, with an almost black ring of foam. Aroma is big. Smell the whisky! Very rich, like a port. A nice unique drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 25, 2010
Bottle 235 thank you Derweg aka Belgian! Had this on our anniversary weekend retreat to Prince Edward County. Deep black pour, nice brown head. Fantastic whiskey aroma, earthy, wood. Taste is what all barrel aged beers should strive for: incredible balance of whiskey barrel hotness/sweetness + substantial body of beer behind it. Taste is so good - the hints of whiskey, lots of wood, plus the roast and wood of the original beer. I am not a fan of these barrel aged beers that I have had so far: of the 50 or so I have had, I’ve enjoyed 5. But this one is spot on and an amazingly complex drink. I actually found it very drinkable surprisingly. I wish I had more of this rare treat, it was so good. Thank you Jonas for the trade, the wait was worth it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 22, 2010
Last but certainly not least from Harvieston’s Ola Dubh series is the piece-de-la-resistance: 40yr. Mm… I can’t wait, and so I don’t. Bottle #54338 of January 2009

There is no moon tonight as pure darkness slowly fills my snifter, drowning out all light and igniting flames of passion in my heart. Her thin espresso head immediately dissipates to make way for a nose as powerful and imposing as a monsoon in season. Before dipping my nose into her black depths, I tease her I imposing depths and revel in wonder at the tears she leaves behind. Tears, my fellow beer geeks and whisky freaks, tears. Amen, hallelujah, and peanut butter. Whereas the 30yr dabbled semi-resolutely in Highland Park esters, the 40yr is all about 40 year old Highland Park single-malt scotch. Oh yes, I am exactly where I want to be right now. Char, peat, tar, spice, black root and scotch seduce me like few others have to date. Burnt marshmallow, caramel, and espresso crema wash over bright red apple skins before I fall once more to the riches of earth with scotch-soaked wood and black soil. Leather is polished to shining while the peppery spice of rich cigar leaf fills my nostrils. Take one Harvieston Ola Dubh 40yr, one fine long-leaf cigar, add an hour or two of blissful nothingness to your day, and voila: nirvana. Fudge brownies ooey-gooey and warm to the touch emerge from the oven topped with vanilla and I am off to the supping races where slow and easy does it. Wow! Exquisite! Creamy, smooth, and warm; the warmth subtly imbues itself throughout the entirety of her palate and, likewise, my body. Caramel cream and espresso crema exude burnt sweetness parleyed by burnt bitterness. A touch dry in the middle, spicy warmth tickles the back of my throat. Red apple and red plum skins provide tart bitterness in the middle while their unripe meats are absorbed by old wood soaked in scotch for, imagine that, 40 years. Cigar leaf and leather weave in and out of the woody warmth of her scotch origins. There is little up front and little in the back except for a pleasant glow in my chest; all that my Ola Dubh 40yr has to say is square in the middle of her palate. For all her bigness, she is exceptionally quaffable and the more she warms, the more dark fudge and gooey brownies work their way into my heart. Each quaff coats my lips in leathery oils and caramel, and I decide it is nigh time to set the pen down and simply enjoy.

Sticker shock, smicker shmock. If and when you find a bottle of the Harvieston Ola Dubh 40yr, buy it. In fact, buy a couple bottles. If you wanted, you could share it with someone, or maybe a cigar.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
b79turner (224) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - AUG 21, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2011 Bottle at J Clyde poured into a tulip glass. Pours a black color with a small tan head. Medium/heavy carbonation. Nose is FANTASTIC! Smells of oak, bourbon, smoke. Taste is mostly same, some minimal sweet notes. The carbonation is a great, but messes with the bourbon flavor a bit. Alcohol is not very noticeabe. Fantastic brew, overpriced at $20/bottle, but definiely well done.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kingkevz (1) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 23, 2012 does not count
fantastic taste. bold, whiskey on the nose and palate. delicious. the aroma is quite strong, very little head, disappears quickly. get some raisin and smoke..

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
robinvboyer (3113) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 23, 2010
Jet black pour and a tiny beige head. Aroma is huge on the scotch. Lots of smoke, peat, vanilla, oak, And loads and loads of Scotch. I’m floored at how much the Scotch has permeated this beer. I love it. The amazing aroma of scotch minus the huge booze punch. The barrel ageing also jnstilled a great oak and vanilla flavor. This is exquisite! This is one of the best barrell aged beers I’ve ever had!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
daveshawley (25) - Doylestown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2010
11.2oz bottle in a snifter. Opened with a bourbon scent from the bottle. Poured an opaque black with a dense tan head - very attractive. Aroma is unmistakably bourbon - strong alcohol character, toasty chocolate and vanilla. Ends with some slightly bitter and oaky molasses. Taste is very heavy with a slight bitter or sour. Body is full and creamy with a light carbonation - almost flat. Overall, this is an amazing example of a stout. It is expensive at $15-$20 USD for a 330ml bottle but well worth it if you like stouts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jbunnik (1) - NETHERLANDS - OCT 12, 2010 does not count
A beautiful beer to sit down and enjoy it peacefully. The total experience starts with the box it comes in.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBaboon (1564) - FINLAND - MAR 13, 2011
Tällä hetkellä snifterissäni oleva öljyisen musta olut hipoo ulkonäöltään täydellisyyttä. Hienon ulkonäön täydentää beige vaahto. Tuoksussa on vaniljaa, paahtunutta mallasta, hedelmäisyyttä, suklaata, viskiä ja puumaisuutta. Maultaan olut on uskomattoman tasapainoinen. Harvoin on tynnyröinti integroitu olueen näin hyvin. Maku on vaniljainen, hedelmäinen, lakritsainen ja viskimäinen. Humalointikin hyppää esiin pienoisella katkeruudellaan. Maku viipyilee suussa kauan. Suutuntuma on pehmeä, liukas ja runsas. Menee ihan parhaimpien maistamieni oluiden joukkoon.