overall

RATINGS: 20   MEAN: 2.27/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.4   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
hopscotch (8893) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 5, 2011
Can… Clear, light yellow lager with a small, fizzy, white head. The aroma is of piss, light pepper and a touch of skunky hops. Light to medium-bodied with tingly carbonation. Canned corn sweetness and very low bitterness. Thin and watery. No real balance. Watery, sweet corn finish.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
BVery (5979) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 8, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2013 Bottle. Pale yellow pour with a white head. Weak grainy lager, somewhat sweet, but not a good beer at all. Drain pour.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Skyview (5154) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2007
Sampled at Cellar’s Wine & Spirits in St Paul, MN. Shared by akevitt. Pours a clear golden blonde brew with a fast disolving white head that leaves behind a fine film and ring. Aroma of light bready malt, some sweet citrus zest and a touch of honey.Taste is light bodied, low carbonation, smooth with a good balance of malt and flowery hops flavors. Finish is semi-sweet at first and then a clean cut finish with no aftertaste. Not too bad for an everyday light bodied beer. On a historical note, I remember drinking this beer back in the late 1980s. The G. Heileman version of this beer was the gawd awful example of what beer was not supposed to taste like. I could purchase a six-pack of this for $1.99. One sip and the rest went down the drain, even when chilled to 34 degrees Fahrenheit. It was the worst beer I ever had. I am happy to see that A. Schell has put a much better recipe in this historical brand.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
badgerben (4386) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - NOV 12, 2007
An ancient looking bottle produced by Akevitt. Clear yellow color with a medium head. Smells and tastes like sweet corn, very cleanly brewed. Very much like Grain Belt Premium. Honestly, as just a tip-it-back beer, it’s not bad at all.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
JK (4376) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2007
An ordinary pale lager, clear gold color. Simple corn/malt flavor. Not offensive in any way and very drinkable.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAR 18, 2005
In the can. I brought a 6 pack of this back from New Ulm in february after the Bock Fest. Just the fact that you could still find a beer in the plastic ring connected sixer was astonishing to me. This beer is apparently a retro-brand from a New Ulm brewery that no longer exists, but whose label has been revived by Schell a la Grain Belt. Looks just like you’d expect: a pale yellow fizzy lager with no redeeming qualities other than the fondness of the geriatric crowd and the desire by the twentysomethings to be retro hip. I have no problems with either mindset. I wish that my town had a brewery that gave a damn enough to revive Storz or Metz regardless of what the product tasted like. This beer has one of the plainest labels that you are ever going to encounter. I suspect that if I lived in New Ulm, I’d swear by this as my ice-fishing beer. This beer gets all its points from me in the historical preservation category. The flavor at least does not taste like liquid corn- unlike Schmidts.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
CanIHave4Beers (3190) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - NOV 2, 2013
Pours a nice pale golden with one of the worst heads I’ve ever seen on a beer ever. We’re talking like where you get a cask ale and it shows up with a bunch of loose big bubbles on top.. .although the loose big bubbles on this one stick around… weird, just weird.

The aroma is pleasant enough, grainy, a touch fruity, with some light sweetness and corniness. Decidedly not great, but inviting enough.

Flavor is pretty quintessential pale lager, to the point where I really have to tip my hat to it. Really nicely balanced between grainy malt, mild corny adjuncts, and a pleasant hop bitterness and grassy flavor… all while keeping a mild but never overbearing sweetness…

The palate is a touch flat, but not terribly thin, and the lower carbonation doesn’t seem to be too much trouble in the way of flavor and perception of the beer generally.

What can I say? I would say that I would happily drink a few of these in an evening, but the truth is that I have, numerous evenings. It does’t hold the place in my heart that Point Special does, but it’s a damn good alternative to many pale lagers that are far more famous.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 21, 2007
Pale color. Straw gold color with a corn & grain aroma and flavor. A little metallic on the finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ElGaucho (2193) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2003
I came across this beer while at a Holiday party a couple of weeks ago. This was my boss' favorite beer while attending college at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. Originally brewed in its current home of New Ulm, MN, it was at various times brewed by the Minnesota Brewing Co. in St. Paul and the G. Heileman Co. of La Crosse, WI. Many old regional beers die a quiet if not sad death. Arneson Distributing of Sleepy Eye, MN revived this nostalgic brand in 1996. Features a bland lager aroma. White, thin head with no visible carbonation. Decent head retention and lacing. Has a bland lager flavor, but what college beer doesn't? Mine was Meister Brau and this is no worse than that. The ex-college roomies I talked to that have fond memories of this one also spoke of its variable taste and its penchant for causing morning-after flatulence. I only had one bottle and didn't experience either. If for no other reason than to taste an infamous Minnesota beer legend, get your hands on some Hauenstein.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
sthlm (1225) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 17, 2007
[Bottle, thanks Akevitt] Pours very pale gold with a small white head. Aroma isn’t offensive, but virtually nothing there. Taste is very sweet with the malt and corn described before melding into something that really did not work for me at all. This was a drain-pour for me and had very little that I found appealing about it. Pretty awful.