overall

RATINGS: 239   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A hearty roasted stout with the hints of Java and a rich dark chocolate sweetness. Gold Medal Winner 1997 Great American Beer Festival. Bronze Winner 1995. Silver Medal Winner 1999.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 14, 2002

toczik (37) - Hollywood, Florida, USA - OCT 11, 2012
Pardon the cliché! But.... OMG! This beer is amasing. I was enjoying the place and the beer sampler i ordered. After this I ordered another one... Nough said!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
HighlanderOne (1010) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - MAY 22, 2001
Ahh, what a beer. I’m a real sucker for oatmeal stouts, and this one’s a classic. It has a smooth, creamy head that persists right to the end of the pint. There is a faint aroma of oats and coffee as you take your first sip. The flavor is full and well balanced. To me, it was similar to Guinness Draught. Definitely one of my favorite beers of all time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Fienddom (1) - Charleston, South Carolina, USA - DEC 24, 2001 does not count
Probably my favorite beer ever. A must have for stout fans.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
freekyp (1490) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 3, 2011
pours a deep dark chestnut color. Toffee, chocolate, candy flavor with a light sassafras component. Aroma is roasted coffee and root beer. Very balanced with a super creamy and light mouthfeel. Finishes sweet and tart along with a strong roasted nutty flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - MAR 31, 2003
Woo. Just woo. Woooooooo. Beautiful dark with a slightly reddish tint. Big mocha-colored head, barkeep had to let it settle several times to top off. Nose has nice roasts with a bit of smokiness and some chocolate. Initial flavor is very subtle roasts. At the swallow, becomes very milky with more chocolate at the end. Very dry and smoky, hints of tobacco. As it warms, becomes hoppier and drier, a nice bitterness. Lovely texture, certainly not incredibly thick, but I tend to expect lighter textures from oatmeal stouts, so it hit me perfectly. Simply amazingly quaffable, full and rich yet very drinkable. Great, great stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GirlyBeer (190) - Old Orchard Beach, Maine, USA - MAY 29, 2005
I had this at Hearland Brewery in NYC. Great lacing, I could tell how many sips I had by the time the glass was empty. Very flavorful, lots of dark chocolate. Light carbonation. Smooth and tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ZOSOMAN12020 (28) - Malta, New York, USA - DEC 8, 2006
A bunch of us just had this on a NYC pub crawl; the consensus was that this was THE best beer we’ve ever had, from any brewpub, anywhere in the Norteast, over the last 20 years. Sampled at both the ESB and Seaport locations. If we could get it upstate, we’d be buying growlers weekly. Do NOT miss a chance to sample a pint.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
chronictonic (473) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 12, 2003
Damn near perfection for an oatmeal stout. Definitely my favorite of this style. Excellent, full bodied, roasted malt flavors. I could drink this like a session beer. It's worth the trip to NYC - from just about anywhere if stout is a style you enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - OCT 6, 2005
On tap, just off Times Square. Big, creamy head. Smooth smoky flavor to go with the chocolate and coffee background, in a beautiful blend of roasted malt. A long,lingering hop finish. This one gets an A as an outstanding example of an oatmeal stout