Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet Letter of Marque 2010: Rye Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 121   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
2010 Rye Porter

Winners from our 2009 Letter of Marque Homebrew Competition will work along side our brewers to create this one time special release. Letter of Marque will feature a different beer every year selected from our national homebrew competition. Historically, a Letter of Marque was a document that made a Pyrate a legitimate professional. Hence, our Letter of Marque makes a home brewer a legitimate professional as well!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hotstuff (4269) - Indiana, USA - APR 16, 2014
Rated on 8-02-2011 (Bottle) This beer pours a medium sized tan head with a lengthy retention, reddish brown transparent body, fizzy, fast rising carbonation, and spotty amounts of lacing. The aroma is malt, chocolate, rye, citrus, pine hops, and bitter. The taste is moderately bitter, chocolate, rye, citrus, and pine hops. The mouthfeel is lively and this beer is medium bodied. The hops dominate the flavor of this beer and blend in nicely with the other flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 28, 2013
Brewvival 2011, on tap. Dark amber body small off white head Sweet roast caramel and fruit aroma Sweet roast chocolate caramel fruit and hop flavor Med full bod mod carb

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
travita (4155) - Frisco, Texas, USA - SEP 16, 2013
Backlog of ratings. Thanks to someone at one of bu11zeyeís tastings. The smell is hops, malts, caramel, and cardboard. The taste is light, sweet, hops, malts, and more cardboard. The look is light brown in color and has a really thin beige colored head.

Chaneybr (52) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 27, 2013
Reviewed 9-12-10. I had this one on tap at Hard Times Cafe in Woodbridge, VA, and Iíve just gotta say, "Man what a treat!" Ap: Almost black, with a tinge of light showing through around the edges, and about an inch worth of head. Ar: Hoppy, fruity, BBQ scent. Wow, this is different. T: Citrusy, yeasty, and VERY yummy! The overall taste profile reminds me very much of FFF "Black Sun Stout." Ahhh...a good descriptor just popped into my head: "Fruity Pebbles" in high grade dark chocolate milk. P: Fills out the mouth nicely. The carbonation actually adds to the enjoyment of this brew. O: I totally wasnít expecting this beer to be as good as it was. Iím going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the best Heavy Seas product Iíve ever tasted. ON 11/23/11 - I HAD THIS ONE AGAIN ...and it didnít disappoint. The same fruity, molasses-like quality I got back in 2010 is still there, along with the very thick mouthfeel. I totally dug this beer. Too bad this is probably the last time I will ever get to taste it. :(

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jkwalking05 (3923) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JUL 16, 2013
Rated in 2010 (Backlog) - Brown in color with a decent sized beige head. Aroma is of rye and roasted malt. Taste is of roasted malt, rye, and spicy hops with a ligth dankness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
TURDFERGUSON (3969) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2013
Bottle. Couldnít sleep and felt like rating a beer. Why not this; the beer that Iíve had in my fridge the longest and also the oldest beer I currently own ( I drank all my tastier vintage beers). Iíve been avoiding it for some months, years now, as I know that itís passing along and months have age have done nothing to make this beer better but unfortunately quite the contrary. Pours a slightly murky dark brown with a spitty tan head and lace. Nose is fairly metallic and papery, undoubtedly from my supreme cellaring. Hard to get much else as I dare to "fly by" for additional aroma scouting. Flavor shows hints of the more polished and fresher beer this once was, with light rye and roasty malt and cocoa notes, but has a thinner outershell and ends more papery and oxidized with light notes of sherry and bittersweet malt. For what I allowed this beer to become, itís far better than I expected and I wish I had come to my senses and popped this bad boy months earlier. sorry for doubting you heavy seas, Iíve just gotten a lot of salt water in my mouth in the past. But watching "the wire" has me in a pro-Bmore mood so Iíve got to get my code straight. Indeed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Patrickctenchi (4070) - Coxís Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JAN 9, 2013
Dark brown with a stable...lingering head...and lingers, and lingers. Aroma of roast, smoke, chocolate. rye and hop. Taste is spiced, rtye, malt...floral hops. Very smooth, alcohol in not apparent at all. More like a BIPA in my opinion. Wonderful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kp (10884) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - DEC 25, 2011

Name: Heavy Seas Letter of Marque
Date: September 05, 2010
Mode: Bottle
Source: Brusin Ales, Asheville NC
Vintage: 2010
Appearance: dark brown with ruby edges, fine tan head, drippy lace
Aroma: sweet spicy aroma, rich chocolate, fruity sweetness, rye spicyness, light smokeyness
Flavor: rich chocolate flavor, dry rye, light fruityness, touch of roasted bitterness, long bitter finish
Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 12/20
Rating: 3.1/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: ** /4

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 22, 2011
Pours dark brown with a light brown head. Smells roasty with some spicy undertones. Tastes roasty and resiny with some spicy undertones and a citrussy bitter finish. Not enough rye presence in this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexsdad06 (5884) - Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2011
22 oz. bottle shared by Tmoney99. Pours a clear brown color with a medium sized beige head. The aroma has roasted malt, rye and some dark fruits with a strange soapy floral note and mild citrus. Definitely not what I expected. The flavor has a more prominent roasted malt quality. Additional flavors of dark chocolate, earthy notes, leather and some spicy rye. This was not what I expected.