Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet Letter of Marque 2010: Rye Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 127   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
2010 Rye Porter

Winners from our 2009 Letter of Marque Homebrew Competition will work along side our brewers to create this one time special release. Letter of Marque will feature a different beer every year selected from our national homebrew competition. Historically, a Letter of Marque was a document that made a Pyrate a legitimate professional. Hence, our Letter of Marque makes a home brewer a legitimate professional as well!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jkwalking05 (4012) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JUL 16, 2013
Rated in 2010 (Backlog) - Brown in color with a decent sized beige head. Aroma is of rye and roasted malt. Taste is of roasted malt, rye, and spicy hops with a ligth dankness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
TURDFERGUSON (4002) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2013
Bottle. Couldnít sleep and felt like rating a beer. Why not this; the beer that Iíve had in my fridge the longest and also the oldest beer I currently own ( I drank all my tastier vintage beers). Iíve been avoiding it for some months, years now, as I know that itís passing along and months have age have done nothing to make this beer better but unfortunately quite the contrary. Pours a slightly murky dark brown with a spitty tan head and lace. Nose is fairly metallic and papery, undoubtedly from my supreme cellaring. Hard to get much else as I dare to "fly by" for additional aroma scouting. Flavor shows hints of the more polished and fresher beer this once was, with light rye and roasty malt and cocoa notes, but has a thinner outershell and ends more papery and oxidized with light notes of sherry and bittersweet malt. For what I allowed this beer to become, itís far better than I expected and I wish I had come to my senses and popped this bad boy months earlier. sorry for doubting you heavy seas, Iíve just gotten a lot of salt water in my mouth in the past. But watching "the wire" has me in a pro-Bmore mood so Iíve got to get my code straight. Indeed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Patrickctenchi (4394) - Coxís Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JAN 9, 2013
Dark brown with a stable...lingering head...and lingers, and lingers. Aroma of roast, smoke, chocolate. rye and hop. Taste is spiced, rtye, malt...floral hops. Very smooth, alcohol in not apparent at all. More like a BIPA in my opinion. Wonderful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kp (10884) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - DEC 25, 2011

Name: Heavy Seas Letter of Marque
Date: September 05, 2010
Mode: Bottle
Source: Brusin Ales, Asheville NC
Vintage: 2010
Appearance: dark brown with ruby edges, fine tan head, drippy lace
Aroma: sweet spicy aroma, rich chocolate, fruity sweetness, rye spicyness, light smokeyness
Flavor: rich chocolate flavor, dry rye, light fruityness, touch of roasted bitterness, long bitter finish
Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 12/20
Rating: 3.1/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: ** /4

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 22, 2011
Pours dark brown with a light brown head. Smells roasty with some spicy undertones. Tastes roasty and resiny with some spicy undertones and a citrussy bitter finish. Not enough rye presence in this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexsdad06 (6305) - Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2011
22 oz. bottle shared by Tmoney99. Pours a clear brown color with a medium sized beige head. The aroma has roasted malt, rye and some dark fruits with a strange soapy floral note and mild citrus. Definitely not what I expected. The flavor has a more prominent roasted malt quality. Additional flavors of dark chocolate, earthy notes, leather and some spicy rye. This was not what I expected.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale Łber alles, Arizona, USA - OCT 12, 2011
2010 bottle at dakís 1/31/11. typical porter color capped by an off white tannish film. a couple of spots of foam are left on the glass as well. odd aroma... very floral (but not rye so much), roast and a little chocolate. the flavor is surprisingly hoppy... the hoppiness translates to a bitterness on the finish too. .. notes of wood, soapy florals, choco, lactose, roast and a spicy minty rye aftertaste (which i really dig). itís a bit thin for an importer (but itís only 7.8%, wtf?)6/3/7/3/14

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
milewide (1628) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 11, 2011
Outstanding appearance! Clear brown color. Head was world class. Tall brown. Small bubbled. Long lasting. Lots of lacing. Spicy rye taste first. Roasted malt next. Touch of alcohol in finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
patrick767 (3689) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 24, 2011
bottle - Pours very dark brown with a fluffy tan head. The aroma is of chocolate, rye, and mild hops. The flavor includes well hopped bitterness, rye dryness, chocolate, and roast malt. Itís medium bodied, balanced, and overall a good combination of flavors. The bottle was at 800 Degrees in Fort Wayne awhile back but I know they donít have it anymore.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beergodd1 (400) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Pours dark brown with a huge frothy beige head that lasted through out, and a sticky thick lace that will be there in the morning, lol. Nose is surprisingly hoppy and spicy... only slightly roasty. Smells a bit more like a "black IPA" and tastes like one. Hops come through more than anything else, but the rye adds some spice, Full body and Some toasty malt. I was hoping for more "Porter" flavor, but this is still a fine beer. Rye was a nice touch.Hmmm....I see this is Retired, I will have to go back and check for more !!