overall

RATINGS: 531   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Our "winter warmer" ale, brewed with copious helpings of English malts and US and English hops, a ruddy hued "Imperial ESB" in style. Full malty flavors dancing with powerful hop aromas and a lingering, firm hop bitterness. Seasonally available from mid October to February.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
weepingsuds (222) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - FEB 21, 2006
Decent. Nice copper hue, with a deep presence in the mug that says drink me. There is a nice sweet malt flavor that overlays a slightly arousing mix of flavors, but nothing I can really stamp my finger on. Decent is all

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
CMUBEERMAN (421) - - FEB 19, 2006
Didnít mind this beer...pretty good actually. Pours a deep copper w/ some decent white head. Aroma is hoppy and malty...and has some citrusy/sour/sweetness. Taste fairly bitter and dry...definitely the sweetness is from the malt. The aftertaste is a bit too much and shows that the beer is a bit unbalanced. Mouthfeel is very dry and the beer has a light body...my favorite clipper city so far.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 10, 2006
pours a deep copper color with a small compact creamy off-white head, aromas of floral and piney hops, citrus. flavor is hoppy bitter, but not to overwhelming, sweet malts are present, as well as some citrus. good body, good brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Thaichile (599) - 10aFly, New Jersey, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Bottle. Pours a deep red color. Scents of fruit. Iím not sure if I liked this one, but Iím not sure that I didnít either. The initial flavors of hops and malt stayed evenly throughout the taste with no discernable beginning or finish. Tasted sweet but something was missing. I would have it again though. Thanks goldtwins for the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - JAN 31, 2006
Interesting, but ultimately more of a showcase for pniey hoppiness than an ESB. Donít get me wrong--I can stomach piney hoppiness, but this beerís piney hoppiness clashed with the distinctively mellow ESB malt profile. Something about mild apple and toffee isnít working with the hops here, and despite the fresh hoppy aroma and pretty golden-orange color, I canít say I enjoyed this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JAN 28, 2006
A brownish red color with a light tan, thin but sustained, lacing head. Aroma contains brown sugar, butter, a winy alcohol, and piney hops. Flavor is nice for a big beer lover. Lots of hops and malt. The hops accentuate the sweetness and create round, perfume-like flavors that increase the bigness of this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JAN 16, 2006
Bottle. Hazy ambery orange pour. Malty aroma with plenty of piney woody hops. More citrus piney malty flavors, with some lighter citrus fruits - oranges. Pretty nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinz (3274) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Interesting. I had this on draft a while back when it was first released. It wasnít in the database yet, and I had no information with which to add it. My inquiry to the brewer got no response. I decided not to add it, since I didnít think I had enough information to put in anything sensible, as even the name of the beer was a bit suspect on the draft menu. In any case, glad to finally be able to enter a rating for the bottle version I found that is fortunately already here on the site. The last beer of the night, after a long day of housework made tolerable by consistent beer sampling throughout the day and evening. Pretty deep amber, ruby notes, slight head fades almost completely. Aroma spicy, bit of spruce, caramel backbone. Flavor is bracingly bitter, loads of hops, dirty pine sap, a bit of caramel, and a definite roasty note. In the end, this sucker is simpley a blast of hop bitterness. Iíve long since junked my initial draft notes, but I remember my initial sample having a distinct anise note and a slightly cleaner, fresher hop profile.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 12, 2006
Orange to copper colored liquid with a tall and lasting beige head. Lots of fresh hops aromas. This has some fresh wort aromas, that while not ideal, sure seem nice to me. Moderate heft with a little more zip then I would expect. Rose petals and heavy malt flavors. Quite dry in the finish with a significant bitter linger. Lightly fruity (peaches) in mid quaff. The strength seems to take away from the balance in this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - JAN 7, 2006
Pours a transparent dark copper orange with a thin, nicely-lacing white head. Fresh citrusy, and mildly grassy English hoppy aroma has a nice caramel malty presence. Starts sweet, fresh and piney with hop resin and lots of crystal malt. Finishes crisp and full in flavor. A well-balanced brew that is practically a double IPA.