RATINGS: 545   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Our "winter warmer" ale, brewed with copious helpings of English malts and US and English hops, a ruddy hued "Imperial ESB" in style. Full malty flavors dancing with powerful hop aromas and a lingering, firm hop bitterness. Seasonally available from mid October to February.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mwelsh13 (499) - Maryland, USA - NOV 20, 2008
12 oz bottle straight from the brewer. Pours deep straw color with a light creamy head. Grassy hop aroma with some bread in the background. Light toffee in the body, some corn and apple (?) in there. It is some kind of fruit but I cannot totally put my finger on it. Light for the alcohol in it. A bit syrupy but not overly. Slight yeastiness. Not my fav from CC but ok.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2009
Bottle thanks to Butters. Ruby reddish brown with a thin white cover, big toffee aroma, sweet with a light grassy hoppiness. Taste is more sweet caramel and toffee a bit too thin with an alcohol bite and good grassy hop finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kassner (1449) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2011 Amber Brown with amodest head from a bottle, Nice lacing Modest aroma, big mouth feel with roasted malt, and caramel but a bit to much bitter iron blood aftertaste. It mellows Ok but not smooth 2011 on tap, dark tan nice head and lacing, alcoholic and just a tad thin.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - FEB 14, 2009
20090214 12oz bottle from Spirits RB. BBF Mar 09. Dark amber, mostly clear, with small but lingering beige head presenting little foamy islands and soapy suds of streaky lace. Aroma is lightly floral, caramel, earl grey tea. Sweet stuff, full and malty, earthy tea and leaf flavors, light citrus and teaberry. Fairly vigorous carbonation helps tame the otherwise hefty body. Finish has a mild hop bite, mineral and herb. Eh, itís okay stuff. Probably a tick better when fresh, but itís only a couple months old.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2009
Gazing at my Winter Storm from Clipper City Brewingís Heavy Seas line reminds me that the next season of Deadliest Catch should be starting soon. Every episode I watch almost makes me want to brave those very seas. Almost. I am far flung from the wintry perils of the Bering Seas, but over the years I have seen my fair share of rough and tumble seas. Being at the mercy of Mother Natureís majestic and deadly beauty is a very sobering reminder of our place in the world.

Glistening mahogany, as if someone had just taken a fresh shine to it, shimmers in the light while dark ruby highlights are reflected in her depths. A small puffy head fades quickly into a ringlet, but some stirring of her seas tosses about scattered clumps of frothy lace while her nose is carried upward for my enjoyment. Warm, sweet, and moist cinnamon apples fresh from the oven seduce while plums, prunes, and raisins add a bit of meat to her body. Lemon and pink grapefruit gives her a playful bite while rum-soaked breads, licorice, vanilla, and wood receive a small helping of maple syrup. A plethora of wintery delights indeed. The rich bready notes soaked in rum and spices is ready and waiting for me as I dive into her inviting depths. Dry winter spices abound, almost like a dry rub on top of my tongue, a generous helping to truly soak in all those flavors. Sweet maple syrup and brown sugar provides a bit of a sweeter undercurrent while rummy warmth lingers long into her finish and my breath. The lemon and pink grapefruit zest nips at the back of my throat after each quaff, and then retreats to let moist dessert breads, rum, and moist plums, prunes, and raisins bring out more maple and brown sugar. This all may sound a bit heavy and cloying, but her mouthfeel and palate is rather bright and refreshingly brisk. Everything is tied together perfectly and as my Winter Storm subsides, I am left pleasantly soaked, but the better for it.

I am reminded a bit of Samuel Smithís Winter Welcome Ale because it too is clean, crisp, and refreshing, just like the Winter Storm from Clipper City Brewing. Weight, body, and mouthfeel aside, she is every bit as wintry as her name suggests, with all the spices, sugars, fruits, breads and rum a person requires to keep their spirits afloat and warm during those chilly months. A brew well-done; not great, but good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - OCT 20, 2009
Poured to a brownish orange with medium off-white head and some lacing. Nose was very hard to detect and the mouthfeel was slightly on the thin side. Taste tried to bring out some caramel hints, as well as a touch of hoppy fruit, but didnít exceed well. At 7.3% abv, I would have expected either a whiff or taste of alcohol, but got neither. Not surprisingly, finish was somewhat on the short and watery side. Have realoly enjoyed the others Iíve had from Clipper City...this one just missed the mark slightly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Beerman6686 (5480) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 25, 2009
This one poured a darker ruby red color with an off white head. Aroma was light plums, toffee and some caramel malt. Flavor was toasted, medium maltiness but not much else going on.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Probiere (992) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2006
Interesting, but ultimately more of a showcase for pniey hoppiness than an ESB. Donít get me wrong--I can stomach piney hoppiness, but this beerís piney hoppiness clashed with the distinctively mellow ESB malt profile. Something about mild apple and toffee isnít working with the hops here, and despite the fresh hoppy aroma and pretty golden-orange color, I canít say I enjoyed this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Thaichile (599) - 10aFly, New Jersey, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Bottle. Pours a deep red color. Scents of fruit. Iím not sure if I liked this one, but Iím not sure that I didnít either. The initial flavors of hops and malt stayed evenly throughout the taste with no discernable beginning or finish. Tasted sweet but something was missing. I would have it again though. Thanks goldtwins for the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
weepingsuds (222) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - FEB 21, 2006
Decent. Nice copper hue, with a deep presence in the mug that says drink me. There is a nice sweet malt flavor that overlays a slightly arousing mix of flavors, but nothing I can really stamp my finger on. Decent is all