He’Brew Funky Jewbelation 2012

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 172   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
Shmaltz Barrel Aged Release #6. A blend of 6 ales aged in 73% rye whiskey barrels and 27% in bourbon barrels. The blend consists of of 3-month Jewbelation 15, 9-month Vintage Jewbelation, 1-month Bittersweet Lenny’s RIPA, 14-month Origin, 7-month Reunion Ale ’11, and 14-month Messiah.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
umich03jm (1769) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - JUN 14, 2012
Pours a dark brown color with a reddish hint. Tan head lingers for a bit. Aroma is sour fruit, caramel malt, and bourbon. Taste is a very odd mix of flavors. Tastes like a sour beer mixed with bourbon and it doesn’t seem to mix well. Very boozy and sour at the same time. Finishes mostly smooth with some alcohol burn. I was excited to drink this but it’s pretty much a mess.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dixonian (1562) - Plano, Texas, USA - JUN 13, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2012 22oz bottle. Brownish amber pour with some off-white head. Some funk on the nose with oak and roasted malt - expected more evidence of barrel aging. Flavor is sweet and slightly sour with dark fruit and roast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
savnac (2391) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUN 12, 2012
22 oz bottle. Hazy mahogany brown with a foamy light tan head. Aroma of pie cherries, sugar, alcohol/whiskey and some woodsy oak. Flavor is dark fruity, sweet toffee, warming whiskey and some tanic oak. Medium body with spritzy carbonation. A lot going on in this one, I like it but is pretty cloying towards the end. Drinkability a bit low.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
scooter520 (185) - - JUN 10, 2012
Bottle. Way too sweet and too much dumped into one bucket. It's the caramel, toffee, saccharin, chocolate, whiskey and bourbon, and a few other flavors that just make this a jumbled mess of sweetness. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
keanex (1379) - Atco, New Jersey, USA - JUN 8, 2012
Poured from a 650ml bottle into a snifter, batch 1, bottled 3-6-2012.

A: I’m a sucker for a black body and a dense tan head in my snifter, this gets a perfect mark from me.

S: Well this is interesting, the beer smells very much like a sour cherry beer with some mild vinegar and chocolate. Some oak, bourbon, leather, rye and vanilla show up, but this smells like a sour cherry wild ale from my limited experiences with them. Did they use Brett? Still I really like this, it’s interesting as heck and I want to smell it all night.

T: It’s very hard to describe the intro and mid-taste I’m picking up mildly sweet blend of a lot of flavors, some rye, chocolate, vanilla, but the finish is what comes in strong and it’s a mildly sour/vinegar of pomegranate. I like this but I feel the 650ml might be too much to drink solo.

M: Thick and velvety, this is heavy on the tongue it feels fuzzy and warm.

O: This is a very odd beer, but I really like it. It’s definitely a very polarizing beer though and many buying it will hate it. When I bought it I was expecting a very strong whiskey and oak profile to this, I was mistaken. I’m not sure if I would buy this again, but it’s worth buying to try!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wlajwl (3743) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JUN 7, 2012
Aroma is fruit and very tart, similar to a lambic. The flavor is fruit, mild sweetness, malts and an alcoholic/warm finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mar (4778) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 6, 2012
Amber with a cream head. Nose is earth, liightly sour, and grainy. Easy palate, funky, roasted malts, smooth finish

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
thirdeye11 (5480) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 6, 2012
(22oz bottle) dark brown, sparse head, nose/taste of dates, mildly funky, saccharin, and some other odd flavors. Fairly rich. Just ok.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
rangerred (891) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - JUN 3, 2012
22oz bomber into a snifter. Pours a completely opaque dark brown with a tiny head that quickly dissipates Aroma of dark fruits and a little bit of pine. I don’t really pick up too much of the bourbon/whiskey aging. The flavor is immensely sweet right off the bat. Some roasted malt, cough syrup, dark fruit and some tartness. A tiny bit of bourbon but not much. Alcohol is detectable through the nose. Mouthfeel is very heavy and sticky. Overall, a really bad beer in my opinion. Like drinking overly sweet cough syrup. I really could only drink a couple ounces of this. Above and beyond cloying. There is just way too much going on in this beer and it is beyond sweet. I was really expecting a lot more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wnewberr (100) - Huntersville, North Carolina, USA - JUN 3, 2012
Cranberry-like aroma. Nice strong alchohol flavor. Finishes a little too sour in my opinion.