overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 274   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 480   ABV: 16%
16th Anniversary Celebration Ale Brewed with 16 Malts, 16 Hops, and Soaring to 16% Alc

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rougeau13 (1975) - Richmond, Texas, USA - NOV 6, 2012
Bottle from Whole Foods. Almost black with ruby highlights and a small brownish head. Aroma of caramel, cocoa, brown sugar, alcohol, and dark fruits. Taste is super rich, sweet malt with a substantial booze character and a moderate bitterness. Syrupy mouthfeel, full bodied, and lightly carbonated. Not bad, but the sweet syrupyness gets a tad cloying.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - NOV 3, 2012
bomber. Beautiful brown. Sweet, sweet malty boozy hoppy-ness. Really toned down for 16 thou, would think 12. Very drinkable & I am able to forgive a little complexity for more punch. Yep.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
rcasta (830) - EL SALVADOR - NOV 2, 2012
why would anyone make something like this? too malty and too hoppy. this is no longer beer - 16%? whadafak?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LinusStick (2822) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2012
This is an alright beer for what it is. Aroma was nice. Strong and thick. dark chocolate, licorice, and burnt wood. The thickness of the aroma told me that this was a hefty beer. Pour was a deep dark black with a one finger tan head. Taste was huge. Extremely malty at first sip. Strong burnt caramel, licorice, plum and dark toffee. Some coffee notes came out as it warmed. The bitterness came out in the finish, balancing out the onslaught of sweetness from the malts. Moderate alcohol burn, this beer didn’t apologize for it’s high ABV. It flaunted it. Surprisingly good carbonation for such a big beer. Glad to try it, but seems like it is a little jumbled.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OmegaX (1233) - Florida, USA - OCT 28, 2012
I wish I liked this one more. It wasn’t bad by any means, but it just didn’t compare to there last few jewbelation offerings. Anyways, it pours out a brown body with ruby highlights. Aroma is rum and slight alcohol, raisins, molasses, and roasted malts. Taste wise, it’s very sweet. Almost overpoweringly so. The roast and molasses elements are there with a dose of dark fruit in the background. Fruitcake and rum. Pretty interesting. I’d like to try this one again with a clean palate after it sat for 6 months or so. Thanks again, Harold, for bringing this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chipalsa (1307) - Florida, USA - OCT 28, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2012 Bomber from Knightly Spirits
Appearance - Deep red hue, tan head
Aroma - Chocolate covered cherries, rum
Taste - Leather, chocolate, molasses, licorice, bittersweet

I can’t complain that it’s too sweet, as I’d like to point out it’s called "SWEET sixteen". The aroma is the best part; liquor and candy, while the finish has more raw sweetness to it. The finish is warm and the liver quivers a little.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
odinstyr (559) - Hamilton, New Jersey, USA - OCT 27, 2012
Pours dark brown with a small tan head. Smells of raisins, licorice, coffee, caramel, bread, flowers. Taste is bitter and sweet, chocolate roast malts, licorice, raisins, figs. A bit of alcohol burn, but it is fairly strong.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
markwise (4428) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 27, 2012
On draft at Euclid Hall. Pours a dark brown with a tan head. Nose is dark fruit, booze, dark malt, and slight chocolate. Flavor is mostly obscured because of the incredibly obtuse booze presence, what I do get is a big amount of booze, burn, red grapes, and dark malts. Full in body with lingering booze. If I was fifteen years old, I may feel confident that this one would settle down before I die. But I am not fifteen. I shudder to think what happens when HeBrew turns 20.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
PorterPounder (5369) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 26, 2012
Jacksonville, Fl. - Grassroots Natural Market - 22 oz bomber. Pours a very dark brown to jet black with a thin khaki colored head that sticks around a bit. Aroma has some odd glue-like accents, a touch of molasses and dates. Flavor is amazingly non-boozy considering the 16% abv. Some licorice, rum-soaked raisins, a touch of bittersweet dark chocolate, a touch of creosote, some brandy-like notes. Mouthfeel is sticky and thick. Expected a boozefest - but surprisingly quite mellow and flavorful - I have not gotten up from the couch yet though....

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
drowland (5981) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - OCT 24, 2012
10/12/12. 22oz bomber labeled "Jewbelation Sweet 16." I really can’t say why I got this besides the fact that it’s a tick. I haven’t really loved this series, and I’m expecting this will be overly sweet and weird. How long will they keep this up? I project they will quit at 20. I poured this fast and hard, expecting it to be completely flat, but alas I was given a very dark pour with a huge brown/tan head that quickly fades to a small ring but laces with surprisingly good sheeting. The aroma immediately shows how they’re trying to overcome the possibility of cloying sweetness - huge burnt, roasted malts. There’s a huge burnt coffee aroma - tons of bitter, black malts. Beyond that, there is a definite alcohol aspect as well as some dark fruits and brown sugar. In some way, the aroma reminds me of coffee flavored vodka. The flavor again packs an immediate huge punch of dark, burnt, roasted bitter malts. That burnt coffee aspect lingers hard but the flavor also picks up sweet, burnt caramel, dark fruits, and more brown sugar/molasses. The beer seems surprisingly light, but at the same time lingers thick and syrupy. I have to say if someone handed me this beer, aside from the aroma, I don’t know that I’d guess 16%. Interesting.