overall

RATINGS: 704   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
A deep, bold nut brown ale beautifully balanced with rich dark malts and a complex hop character converging to reveal a simply enchanting elixir.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
swanmann (568) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - JUL 16, 2006
Bottle pours a medium, light tan head. Aromas of coffee, similar to a porter. Rich, full, well balanced malty flavor of chocolate, with a really bright note lingering. Maybe a bit over-carbonated. At present I see I’m the highest rating on the page. Oy. I like it. So shoot me already.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - OCT 2, 2006
Dark ruby tinted brown. Soft, medium cap of fluffy tannish foam thats fastly dissolved to its skim and collar. Lacing is minimal in a few spots and strings. Aroma is tenderly sweetened with a light roasted caramel/toffee with notes of vanilla, maple, and molasses. Taste is solid with a firmly smooth maltyness of touch and go roasted hints under some fantastic solid tones of toffee, caramel, molasses, nuts, cocoa, and maple. Very firm and boldly set along the palate. Lengthy with just a breath of citric, piney hops towards the finish and lingers nicely with a moderate coating of toasted nuts and caramel. Firm, smooth, medium body thats very fitting and easy going with a slick malty texture that screams to be drank. And by the pint full! A very solid brown.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cking (1175) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - MAY 21, 2007
Rated 6/12/06: Had my eye on this one for some time, picked up a sixer and boy am I glad I did. I don’t have a long history with brown ales but this one is interesting. Nice mild aroma with a creamy maltiness and ever so fragile nuttiness, there appears to be a faint hop presence. Very pleasant I didn’t rank it any higher since it’s a touch too subtle for me. The appearance is fantastic for this style. Rich deep brown in daylight yet slightly mahagony when held close to the light. There is a soft creamy tan head very similar to a dry stout. Lack of thick lacing holds this back from a perfect appearance. Mouthfeel is decent when cold but grows fuller as it warms up, smooth and creamy it trickles down with satisfaction. Great taste with a nice nutty flavor accented by lightly roasted malt and rounded out with that interesting hop characteristic found in the aroma. At first I wasn’t thrilled but I walked away and let this one breathe and warm up considerably, as I came back I was blown away by the change in aroma and flavor. Please pour a glass and let it sit, as this beauty warms up you will be happy. Mitzvah!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nearbeer (3424) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 4, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2009 Bottle. Mahogany and translucent with ruby highlights. Medium-sized head settles to a nice little skullcap. Aroma is great balance of chocolate molasses, smoke, caramel, metallic herbs and other unknowable stuff. Tastes of all that, plus roasted nuts, spicy raisins and just the right amount of bitter herbs. Palate is smooth, light-medium bodied and refreshing. I really wasn’t expecting much from this one based on other Mendocinos I have tasted, but man is this one ever underrated! I love Browns and this is one of the best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chad9976 (1081) - Albany, New York, USA - MAR 1, 2010
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2012 As a beer critic I’m always excited to try new styles, whether they’re classic niche styles that are hard to find, or something a brewer comes up with on their own. He’Brew Genesis Ale is an example of the latter, and goes to show that not all experiments in brewery are destined for greatness.

POUR, COLOR AND AROMA

This beer pours smoothly and forms an average-sized, off-white, soapy head which dissipates rather quickly and leaves very little lacing on the glass. It has a cloudy copper complexion, although no sediment is noticeable. The aroma is indicative of a heavily-hopped beer with a strong floral scent and hints of some sweet ingredients.

TASTE

From what I understand the Shmaltz Brewing Company intends for Genesis Ale to be a cross between a “West Coast-style” pale ale and a brown ale. I’m all for experimentation if the results warrant it, but this beer does not.

The first sensation to hit me as I took my first sip was that of a strongly-flavored  pale ale with a distinct hop bite and tart bitterness. However, as the beer finished it had a rich, sugary, caramel-like flavor that just didn’t seem to match. As I continued to drink I noticed the hop character was completely outshined by a syrup-like quality. Molasses, butterscotch and even pineapple seemed to be distinct ingredients – all of which can be attributes in the right context, but here it’s just a very strange concoction.

Genesis Ale reminded me of the expired Sam Adams Double Bock I sampled fairly recently, so I can’t help but wonder if this beer was past its prime as well. Unfortunately, there was no freshness dating indicator on the bottle.

FINISH

With such a rich, strongly-hopped body it’s not wonder Genesis Ale was not exactly soft on my palate. It has a hard mouthfeel and a fairly rough finish that warms as it goes down. I prefer this in a heavily-spiced winter beer, but here it just reinforced my dislike of the flavor.

BODY

At least this beer has a proportional body. At 5.6% ABV it’s a bit heavy for a run-of-the-mill ale, but it certainly doesn’t feel heavy on my constitution. I was able to drink two bottles within a fairly short timespan without feeling overwhelmed or bloated in the least.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I did some research on the Shmaltz Brewing Co. (makers of the He’Brew and Coney Island beer lines) and discovered they do not actually brew their beer themselves. From what I understand, beers made by contract breweries tend to be very inconsistent and the wide range of ratings of these beers probably supports that idea. Do contract breweries have less (or any) quality assurance than in-house breweries? That might explain why I wasn’t too crazy about He’Brew Genesis Ale even though I really liked the Messiah Bold (and why other reviews of these beers have been so varied).

I’ll have to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and hope that I just got a bad batch. If I ever drink it again and the taste is completely different I’ll update this review. But until then, a bad-tasting beer is a bad beer to me.

NOTE: watch the video version of this review at:

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikedR (923) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - JUL 17, 2013
Good not great nut brown ale. Aroma is suitably nutty in aroma. Taste-wise, tho, the nuttiness and maltiness are a bit weak and overpowered by the hops, leading to a somewhat unbalanced brew. B- ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Optigon (562) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - FEB 25, 2007
Pours dark brown with a thin, white head. No lacing. Aroma of hops and molasses. Solid mouth feel with tastes of coffee, molasses, with a bitter hop profile to round it out. Really good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
elmatador00 (519) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 29, 2007
Pours a dark brown almost black with a tan head. Thought it was a stout, unless this rating said brown ale. Has a huge hint of roasted malts, coffee, cocoa. Finished with a roasted burnt taste on the tongue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BlondeBeerBunE (12) - Lodi, California, USA - JUN 18, 2007
beautifully done! Nice nutty brown ale with wonderful nutty taste too. This Jewish BunE is proud of a well done beer... Oh forgot to look to see if it’s kosher...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
ghill1218 (9) - 29 palms, California, USA - SEP 11, 2007 does not count
very good beer, i really taste coffee, and a little chocolate. it’s not a stout but could hang. alot of flavor. one of my favorite beers so far