RATINGS: 42   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.36/5   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.72%
This is the 1960s formula "authentically kraeusened" Old Style Traditional Lager that process more thoroughly ferments beer to give it additional flavor, along with a smoother finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
TheAlum (6487) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - APR 18, 2010
A few cans killed on the balcony with friends. Been awhile since I did a "Slumming it" rating. 12 oz can pours a pale straw, transparent, bubbly bright white carbonation driven head that dies to a small ring, laces minimally. Aromas are cereal grains, corn, hulls, a bit watery and a touch dirty. Simple. Initial is similar, light bodied and a mix of watery grains, corn, cereal malts, and no real hop presence to be found. Goes down very easy, very forgetful, but it would be hard to find too many outward offensive flavors in this beer. A light lager that lacks character and gets a bit vegetal through the watery thin body.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
bierwolf (4) - glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 13, 2010 does not count
Pours a very clear dark yellow, with a small frothy head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is that of fermented corn. Iím used to drinking microís so the corn thing is fairly new to me. The taste is of corn also; I really donít taste any of the malt that Iím used to with craft beer. The body is very thin. My dad and his friends all grew up on this type of beer. When I started introducing them to craft beers they all found them way too Ďheavy and bitterí and after trying this beer I can definitely see why craft beer was such a shock to them. While it is true that the macro style and craft style are both beer, they are quite different animals indeed. If it werenít for the advent (or rebirth) of craft I probably wouldnít have much interest in beer at all. So it is with that spirit that I raise my glass (although not this one in particular) to the great craft brewers here in Wisconsin, the U.S. and the world. Weíre so damned lucky to have such beer diversity! Old Style ainít my thing, but to each their own, Prost!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
slitcher (266) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - SEP 22, 2009
Drank from a 12 ounce can. Not bad for what it is. More flavor than Bud or Miller with a nice clean finish and decent carbonation. Drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
shigadeyo (3388) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2009

9/06/2009: Old Style "Authentically Kraeusened"... I used to drink quite a bit of the "regular" Old Style when I was in college. It was decent but not really that great even then, so I was a bit reluctant to buy this now. But alas, we ran out of beer at our little cookout and the grocery store was the closest place to get some beer that was still opened. Anyway... I was quite pleased with the "new" (old?) Old Style that is "authentically kraeusened" (I know this because it is plastered all over the box and label!). The aroma and flavor are quite similar in that they are malty, slightly sweet, and donít have an abundance of cereal grain characteristics coming through. There is actually a really mild, but definitely there hoppiness that is just enough to keep everything in balanced. This beer is feel soft in the mouth and goes down extremely smoothly. The alcohol seems like -5% though since I grank 6+ other beers before putting down 6 of these over a 2-3 hour period and felt really quite well! In the end, I was glad that we pulled the trigger on the Old Style and would buy it again in the future.

12 fl. oz. bottles Ɩ) from a 12-pack purchased at Fred Meyer in Aurora, IL and shared by Jason. Rating #19 for this beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
17thfloor (2440) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2009
12oz 2009 Chicago Cubs Ivy bottle, "-Local Lore- of the Friendly Confines - 4 of 5 While trying to find a ball lost in the ivy, an opposing player once came out firing an empty soda cup instead of the ball. The runner was safe." Pours a very light super clear golden with a fairly decent white frothy head 2.5. Aroma is nice and grassy with some quite sweet malt. You know what, this Kraeusened version isnít terrible. Bready, malty, for some reason a tad hot though, I think I can actually taste some hops, Iím serious. Light bodied with a fuller mouthfeel, actually pretty clean with softer ubiquitous smooth carbonation. For what purpose this beer is supposed to serve, and living less than 300 ft from Wrigley Field, I understand that purpose PERFECTLY, it really hits the mark; Clean, non-offensive, refreshing, and way more flavor, relatively, than Miller Lite, thats for sure. GO CUBS!!! (oh wait, I forgot Iím a Cards fan!)

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2009
Heilemans Old Style poured into my snifter thin and pale with such a miniscule tinge of yellow to his body that he almost looks like water. Literally. No head and no carbonation whatsoever, he is looking scarily like a flat, bland, tasteless beer throwing airs by aiming for bottling aspirations instead of sticking to the can. No nose. I tried; I even got my nose wet dipping it so deep into my snifter. The few quaffs that I do partake of are thin, watery, and lacking any flavor whatsoever. Despite his appearance, there was a bit of carbonation present in the body, but not much. A wisp of corn and sweetness flits by and disappears just as quickly upon whatever train to Crap Town this beer is taking me. Like his two brothers before him, the rest of my Heilemans Old Style joins them upon the now wet patch of grass next to me.

Bleh. I donít think I can talk about how crappy the three retro beers I had were. Enough said; Iím not wasting my time anymore. I have good beers to drink and rave about. On a different note, I would like to say that there can be found good beer in a can. Oskar Blues, New England Brewing, and Maui Brewing are a few that brew really good craft beer in a can. Check them out.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ronaldtheriot (1597) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - AUG 5, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2010 This new and improved blend is somewhat bland, and thatís what stands out. It has a neutral smell (a bit grassy and maybe a slight sour aspect). and taste (barley and grass). Mouth-feel is very dry. The head is thick and white, and Old Style has a clear, yellow-golden appearance. Carbonation is very high. My overall impression is that while the taste is very standard, it is good and enjoyable. RJT

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
drowland (7112) - Georgia, USA - AUG 1, 2009
Had from a 12oz. can from a friend. I was curious to try this since theyíve went back to the older version. Honestly, itís not great, but itís not nearly as bad as Old Style was before they went back to this recipe.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 29, 2009
Solid not unpleasant grain aroma, ,taste doesnít come through,however, served cold you get the slightest of sweet grain, then the watered down nothingness you expect from a macro, actually doesnít have that unpleasant ,ugly corn bitter finish,so its an ok thirst quencher

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
monkeychugg55 (972) - Joliet, Illinois, USA - JUN 27, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2009 Pours a clear yellow with a thin, fizzy, white "head" that had a small hole in the center. Within a matter of seconds I watched the hole spread and eat the rest of the head within a matter of 3 seconds or so. Now is completely decapitated. Pils malt aroma with sweet corn and faint hops. Wow. The flavor is actually not that bad. Sweet, but you can tell there are actual beer ingredients in there. It fades away as fast as the head did, in a rush of bubbles. The finish is really clean, all that is left is the feel of sweet water in your mouth and whatever you can burp up. This is a above average macro at least. Not terrible.