overall

RATINGS: 41   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.36   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.72%
This is the 1960s formula "authentically kraeusened" Old Style Traditional Lager that process more thoroughly ferments beer to give it additional flavor, along with a smoother finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
willie_mo (5) - Ohio, USA - MAY 10, 2010 does not count
This is my favorite American brewed beer. I like the Kraeusened taste. It helps to that this is a cheaper beer! A staple for me whenever I go to Chicago is to pick up a case of Old Style!

OldStyleLady (1) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2011 does not count
This is my favorite American lager beer. Nice to see the Kraeusened beer recipe returned. Though itís not the same style when Heileman brewed it in LaCrosse, but it is still my Old Style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Daverappster (10) - - MAR 1, 2014
This is a good old fashioned Chicago beer. It is smooth going down and is not skunky. I would drink this if Pabst Blue Ribbon wasnít available.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pulykamell (4) - USA - MAR 20, 2009 does not count
Rating for style, I think this is a solid lawnmower beer. Far better than Bud or Miller. My first sip and I was transported straight back to when I was four years old, and my dad wouldnít be able to crack open an Old Style without me begging for just one sip. If itís not the same flavor as the Old Style of yesteryear, itís pretty damn close. Compared to regular Old Style, itís got a drier, less sweet finish. If I have to drink light American adjunct macrobrew lagers, this is my go-to beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Frank (3016) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 27, 2010
So Old Style changed its recipe to an old one and RateBeer thinks itís a different beer. Having drank plenty of both versions I can tell you that itís not much different and I have no idea why as of June of 2010 itís listed as a separate beer. That being said, I love my ticks so here goes... This is as classic an example you can get of an American lager brewed w/ corn. From itís yellow golden color to its crisp, light flavor it is pretty much exactly what you expect from this style. The possible exception to this is I find it has somewhat less carbonation than many of its cousins which makes it a bit more drinkable but a bit less crisp. There are examples of American lagers I like better but that is mostly personal preference. This is about as good as it gets for the style and was before they changed to the old recipe too.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Skyview (5269) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - JAN 17, 2009
Purchased from Cellars Wine & Spirits in Shorewood, MN and sampled from 12-oz can, pours a clear golden straw brew with a decent white head that slowly dissipates to a thin white ring and film top. A little more golden grain malt and citrus hop aroma than the previous version with a hint of corn. Taste is smoother and not as gritty as the previous version, light bodied, some carbonation with a nice balanced flavors of golden grain malt, corn, citrus hops and a hint of white bread dough. Finish is light, crisp and clean cut with very little aftertaste. Definitely a smoother and easy drinking light beer compared to the previous version but not as semi-sweet as the historical Heileman product of the 1970s and 1980s. A decent session beer for hot summers and mass market light beer drinkers but not a beer geek caliper beer. Along with the recent Schlitz 1960s formula revival I am happy to see another historical brand returned with a decent light beer formula.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ronaldtheriot (1333) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - AUG 5, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2010 This new and improved blend is somewhat bland, and thatís what stands out. It has a neutral smell (a bit grassy and maybe a slight sour aspect). and taste (barley and grass). Mouth-feel is very dry. The head is thick and white, and Old Style has a clear, yellow-golden appearance. Carbonation is very high. My overall impression is that while the taste is very standard, it is good and enjoyable. RJT

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
FunkyBrewster (1518) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 15, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2011 Here goes, lets taste the new and improved Old Style. Color and aroma same as before. Pale straw color with little or no head. Aroma of grains, wet dog, malt and bread. Flavor is slightly improved, and I mean slightly. It is still a lot of grain and malt and water and maybe just a hint smoother in the finish. Iíd love to have one of each side by side as I am using memory to compare and memory is usually something I donít keep when consuming Old Style. The finish is the only real improvement and that isnít saying too much. So I give it one more point in flavor and thatís about it. Donít get this beer and expect a big change, just a slight modification. Going to have to try it again later next to an old one if possible, that might help me detect the change a bit more

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
badgerben (4502) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - APR 26, 2009
Thanks to Skyview for sharing! Yellow color with a medium head. Light grain and corn aroma. Pretty much the same flavor. Cleanly fermented, nothing offensive at all. Certainly drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
shigadeyo (3075) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2009

9/06/2009: Old Style "Authentically Kraeusened"... I used to drink quite a bit of the "regular" Old Style when I was in college. It was decent but not really that great even then, so I was a bit reluctant to buy this now. But alas, we ran out of beer at our little cookout and the grocery store was the closest place to get some beer that was still opened. Anyway... I was quite pleased with the "new" (old?) Old Style that is "authentically kraeusened" (I know this because it is plastered all over the box and label!). The aroma and flavor are quite similar in that they are malty, slightly sweet, and donít have an abundance of cereal grain characteristics coming through. There is actually a really mild, but definitely there hoppiness that is just enough to keep everything in balanced. This beer is feel soft in the mouth and goes down extremely smoothly. The alcohol seems like -5% though since I grank 6+ other beers before putting down 6 of these over a 2-3 hour period and felt really quite well! In the end, I was glad that we pulled the trigger on the Old Style and would buy it again in the future.

12 fl. oz. bottles Ɩ) from a 12-pack purchased at Fred Meyer in Aurora, IL and shared by Jason. Rating #19 for this beer.