overall
Brewed by Heineken Nederland
Style: Pale Lager
Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

RATINGS: 3548   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.09   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
100% Barley malt, choice hops and pure water give this brew unsurpassed clarity.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 5, 2003
More hoppy than the average American Lager. Otherwise... why drink it? It's cheaper to buy Bud or Miller or something fairly similar.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jahills (151) - Cambridge (Hobart), AUSTRALIA - OCT 5, 2003
UPDATED: APR 15, 2004 Very overpriced for a quite standard lager. No aroma at all, but a little fruity and malty and a strange but pleasant aftertaste. Quite hoppy get it on tap over the stubbie or can if possible. Very overpriced so not worthwhile. Easy to give up on as it doesnt meet its expectations.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
lasonovich (151) - AUSTRALIA - OCT 3, 2003
No real smell, a nice gold appearance and a reasonable flavour. Its available everywhere and is actually quite drinkable. Not too bad but slight chemical aftertaste

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - SEP 27, 2003
The bottle I had was fairly crisp and devoid of skunk - I guess this one had minimal exposure to sunlight. The two most obvious traits to me were significant carbonation and the presence of corn. Good to cleanse your palate (as long as its fairly cold) but nothing to get excited about.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DrnkMcDermott (2911) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 Bottled. Well, it was being served at a reception so it was free, which is about the right price. Yes, it does skunk up in the green bottle, doesn’t it. Pours a very thin head that’s gone immediately. There’s a noticeable touch of maltiness at least. No hops. Hard to believe, but this was still better than the 3 Horses I had a few weeks before.<hr>Rating from draft, 9/10/05.Okay, I found a bar that was serving Heinie from InBev’s "PerfectDraft" system, using those 5 l minikegs, with a nice Belle-Epoque steel tap handle. Thinks, "a chance to fairly review an unskunked Heieken." So I ordered a draft in an appropriate .3 l tulip glass. What do I get? A slightly deeper gold lager color than I expected. A frothy head that thins quickly. But I still can’t find anything resembling a "taste." Almost a total lack of malts and a very slight bitter "tone" instead of bitter"ness." Nothing "off" about it, but also nothing that makes me want another. True "barley pop." No reason to change my rating.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2003
Typical. Everyone is brought up to believe that Heineken is a premium beer. It really does suck but about once every year I have a craving for one or two. I used to steal them from my sister when I was underage. Skunked usually.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
palliko (12) - Colorado, USA - SEP 22, 2003
I know. It is yuppie beer. But at least give it chance. I did. If I was on an island and a keg of Heineken washed up would I drink it? Yes. But we are not on an island, and there are SO many choices out there for a good light colored beer: move on! It is “okay”. That is all you can say. No head. No lacing. No aroma. Just a mouthful of light maltless beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bb (7642) - Alamo, California, USA - SEP 20, 2003
Can. Light golden color with a good head on it and highly carbonated. Not much of a smell to it. The first hit to the tongue isn't the most pleasing, but otherwise the flavor isn't bad - a fruity/malty taste. Finished fairly cleanly, but there's a hint of an aftertaste that's not the most pleasant. If it wasn't so carbonated, the beer would be much better. The carbonation just gets in the way of an otherwise ok lager.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 17, 2003
(keg-style can) Corn and yeast sweetness in the aroma. Pours a golden yellow, flat with little carbonation. Body is weak with little malt to speak of. Flavour is dominated by corn tastes and alcohol. Becomes less desirable as it warms up. Other than the packaging, which is pretty cool, not much to get excited about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dreamboat (186) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - SEP 17, 2003
The bottles that I bought came wrapped, I assume from the factory, in a plastic (coloured) wrapper, which will prevent, or greatly reduce the effects of light strike on this beer. The arome was pleasant enough, but a little lacking in both malt and hop notes, just a promise to be a non-threatening type of lager. Pour was great, with a nice tight head, nice pale gold colour, and a good degree of carbonation. Flavour followed on from the aroma, nothing out of place, but nothing to set this beer above the host of others on the market. A bit light and bland on the palate. Not worth premium money, but a very acceptable brew.