overall
Brewed by Heineken Nederland
Style: Pale Lager
Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

RATINGS: 3484   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.09   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
100% Barley malt, choice hops and pure water give this brew unsurpassed clarity.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 10, 2003
As everyone else has said, a skunky beer. I know I usually reach for something else when I want a beer.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
elsberry (87) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 10, 2003
Has a metallic, grassy taste. Most of the times Iíve had this is was skunky, but Iíve had a few that were not. When itís not skunky, itís not too bad. decent on tap, horrid from the bottle.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
tex (52) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 9, 2003
I""m amazed how often the word ""skunky"" is used to describe this beer. Almost as often as the word ""foreign"". It""s much better from a tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jedimasternick (96) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 8, 2003
Heineken despite what has been said is an excellent beer when it has not sat on a shelf for months to become ískunkyí. It is similar to Grolsch Lager with a lighter aftertaste and a smoother feel. A quality brew overall.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Ha! I knew early on in my beer drinking days that this was one overrated, overpriced, skunky, sour lager. Thanks ratebeer community. I feel validated. Ok, now for the review... oh, just read the other comments.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - JAN 5, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 Light struck. No flavor except skunkiness.
Why couldn't the bar serve the cans? It would be safer in the riot-prone area known as the OSU campus! ;o)
Will re-rate after I get some cans.
Can:
Even skunked in the can too. This beer is way over-hyped.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bythe40 (64) - USA - JAN 4, 2003
UPDATED: APR 28, 2003 After re-trying this it was better out of the bottle but still lacks. Try warstiener

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 4, 2003
1/3/03: drank straight from the bottle at a sports bar in columbus... GO BUCKS!! Light skunky taste, which is probably the result of sunlight hitting the green bottle during shipment. not a big fan at the moment, but when i had this one on tap in amsterdam a couple of years ago i had a much more pleasant experience!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dogbrick (9118) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 13, 2004 Rerate 04/13/04: On draught (pression) at Chez Bernard in Fontainebleau, France. Someone had suggested trying a Heineken on my trip which I planned on not doing, but due to my poor French speaking I ended up with one at lunch one day. I literally had to ask the waiter what I was drinking to be sure, even though it was served in a Heineken glass. I was assured in answer to my "qu'est-ce que s'appelle"? that it was indeed Heineken. Wow. Looks the same but the taste is definitely different. Clear gold with a medium white head and little lacing. The nose is lightly hoppy with a pleasant grape character. Very smooth body with a fruity and hoppy flavor that just somehow tastes like this beer really should. It all makes sense now. The finish is refreshing and vinous with a touch of hops. One of the only good beer surprises on my trip.

Rerate 01/03/03 (1.8): I like skunky/nutty beers even less now. Even though Bud drinkers call this a fancy import I think it is pretty awful.

01/03/02 (2.5): Skunky more often than not, it is either in the light too long or doesn't travel well. A decent Lager when it's good, but it is usually a gamble.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20