overall
Brewed by Heineken Nederland
Style: Pale Lager
Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

RATINGS: 3324   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.09   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
100% Barley malt, choice hops and pure water give this brew unsurpassed clarity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pkbites (674) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 3, 2002
Either you love this beer or hate it. That’s my observation. I love it. The bitter after taste is excellent. This is one of my favorite beers of ALL time. Unfortunately it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over priced, and sometimes it’s skunky.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - JUL 2, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2012 Typical European green bottle lager/pilsner... I actually like these better in cans... Malty and grassy... a little more bite from the hops than you might expect but nothing to get terribly excited about. Refreshing and non-offensive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
IneedAbuheer (69) - Ingleside, Illinois, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Skunky with a fairly crisp refreshing taste. Not my beer of choice, but not bad either. Nice summer brew while in the heat.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
GreatSatanUSA (107) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 28, 2002
Heineken has a skunky smell and taste that just turns me off. The flavor was unremarkable. It’s not the world’s worst beer, but it sure is the worst $13 a 12pack beer. Why anyone drinks this is beyond me. Re-rate: tasted better when not ice cold, but still not a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MuddyFox99 (16) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - JUN 25, 2002
looks great in the glass,and has a great hoppiness about it, but lacks the punch that the great beers have. The lack of bitterness does not do justice to the full-flavoured hops

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ENTROPY (141) - Terra Bella, California, USA - JUN 24, 2002

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JUN 23, 2002
*Re-rate* I decided to give this one another chance when my bud picked up cardboard enclosed 12 pack of these. I felt my chance of obtaining a fresh sample would be much better (damn green bottles). And so I did. This brew pours a light sparkling straw yellow. The large tight white rocky head is fully lasting with decent lacing. The mild nose is toasted malt and resinous hops. The fresh flavor is light and neutral with a fair balance. Bready, slightly sweet, and bland though. The thin body is watery and fizzy, and finishes crisp. Much better when not light struck, but still average IMO. *original rate 4/4/02 - 1,3,4,2; 7 (skunked!)*

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
mjmurphy2 (85) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2002
drinkable but there is nothing to it it. it’s fairly smooth but suffers from a total lack of any distinguishing characteristics

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUN 19, 2002
I have a friend that likes this, so I drink it more than I care to. It has to be one of the skunkiest beers I have ever had. Have never been able to get past that and understand why some people like my friend love it. Typical light golden/dark straw color with aroma of anything masked by the skunk smell. Only for trendy folks.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 19, 2002
With Beck’s Dark, my other transition brew - the beers that weaned me away from Bud and on into the bliss of real beer. I’m guessing it was the faint taste of hops in an unskunked bottle that one fine day in Charlevoix ...