overall
Brewed by Heineken Nederland
Style: Pale Lager
Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

RATINGS: 3714   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.09/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
100% Barley malt, choice hops and pure water give this brew unsurpassed clarity.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DrnkMcDermott (2994) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 Bottled. Well, it was being served at a reception so it was free, which is about the right price. Yes, it does skunk up in the green bottle, doesnít it. Pours a very thin head thatís gone immediately. Thereís a noticeable touch of maltiness at least. No hops. Hard to believe, but this was still better than the 3 Horses I had a few weeks before.<hr>Rating from draft, 9/10/05.Okay, I found a bar that was serving Heinie from InBevís "PerfectDraft" system, using those 5 l minikegs, with a nice Belle-Epoque steel tap handle. Thinks, "a chance to fairly review an unskunked Heieken." So I ordered a draft in an appropriate .3 l tulip glass. What do I get? A slightly deeper gold lager color than I expected. A frothy head that thins quickly. But I still canít find anything resembling a "taste." Almost a total lack of malts and a very slight bitter "tone" instead of bitter"ness." Nothing "off" about it, but also nothing that makes me want another. True "barley pop." No reason to change my rating.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2003
Typical. Everyone is brought up to believe that Heineken is a premium beer. It really does suck but about once every year I have a craving for one or two. I used to steal them from my sister when I was underage. Skunked usually.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
palliko (12) - Colorado, USA - SEP 22, 2003
I know. It is yuppie beer. But at least give it chance. I did. If I was on an island and a keg of Heineken washed up would I drink it? Yes. But we are not on an island, and there are SO many choices out there for a good light colored beer: move on! It is “okay”. That is all you can say. No head. No lacing. No aroma. Just a mouthful of light maltless beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bb (8452) - Alamo, California, USA - SEP 20, 2003
Can. Light golden color with a good head on it and highly carbonated. Not much of a smell to it. The first hit to the tongue isn't the most pleasing, but otherwise the flavor isn't bad - a fruity/malty taste. Finished fairly cleanly, but there's a hint of an aftertaste that's not the most pleasant. If it wasn't so carbonated, the beer would be much better. The carbonation just gets in the way of an otherwise ok lager.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 17, 2003
(keg-style can) Corn and yeast sweetness in the aroma. Pours a golden yellow, flat with little carbonation. Body is weak with little malt to speak of. Flavour is dominated by corn tastes and alcohol. Becomes less desirable as it warms up. Other than the packaging, which is pretty cool, not much to get excited about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dreamboat (186) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - SEP 17, 2003
The bottles that I bought came wrapped, I assume from the factory, in a plastic (coloured) wrapper, which will prevent, or greatly reduce the effects of light strike on this beer. The arome was pleasant enough, but a little lacking in both malt and hop notes, just a promise to be a non-threatening type of lager. Pour was great, with a nice tight head, nice pale gold colour, and a good degree of carbonation. Flavour followed on from the aroma, nothing out of place, but nothing to set this beer above the host of others on the market. A bit light and bland on the palate. Not worth premium money, but a very acceptable brew.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Kinz (3737) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2010 Can. Medium yellow, fizzy, retained touch of head. Smells a bit of corn even though there isnít any in here. Not much else in the aroma department. More taste than Bud, but I would have sworn that there used to be more hops in this beer. RERATE: 3/21/10 - I bumped it up a bit because there really wasnít anything wrong here - just not a whole lot right either. Corn note probably from DMS, faded over time as it left the glass. Basic impression otherwise the same. Maybe paler than I had recalled.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
mribm (460) - Ocala, Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2003
Bottled. An over-rated, over-priced beer which was highly skunked due to the green bottle. I will never buy another one of these beers unless they start using brown bottles. I am tired of buying beers in green and clear bottles because the light MAKES THEM SKUNKY! Can't the breweries hear this?

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - SEP 10, 2003
If this were a rating based upon kegged beer then it would be totally different.WHY do beer companies insist on GREEN BOTTLES? Yes the average American finds cache with beers such as Heineken but it's because of the name. Please,any marketing powers that may be reading these reviews throw us a bone and put Euro-beer in BROWN bottles. The trendies will still buy because it's Heinekin and the discerning non-sheep will get to enjoy a decent Lager. RATING: good on tap, skunky in the GREEN $&*#@ bottle.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bu11zeye (12679) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - SEP 9, 2003
Light golden in color with a white head. Tate is below averarge. A step or two above a Bud or Miller beer.