Helltown Sanctuary
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 4.25/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%

lithy's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 13, 2013
I like these guys a lot, I just didn’t think this was up to par. It seemed to me that it had a lot of black patent malt in it. It was far too dark fruity, slightly acrid burnt. Missing a lot of the pleasant chocolate/coffee type flavors that can be found in big stouts. Still would like to see more.

bosendorfer (40) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 6, 2012
I had this special offering from Helltown at this year’s Steel City Big Pour. It was labeled as a Russian Imperial Stout and clocked in at 13%abv. The samples were viscous and black as a winter’s night. The nose was strong and thick like Hershey’s chocolate syrup, and deeper nosing gave off loads of dark cocoa and sweet dark chocolate. On the palate, this beer was absolute perfection, and I can’t stress that enough. I have never had another RIS like this in my life. The mouthfeel was thick but silky, like creamy velvet. The flavors started off with caramelized, bruleed sugar and raisins, then moved to bourbon, brown sugar, and espresso. The finish left just a whisper of chocolate roast, and was a perfect length. Overall, this beer completely blew me away - words almost can’t describe how good this beer was.