overall

RATINGS: 256   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
20.0P

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Frothy off white head. Dark golden amber hue. Pear, light fruit, alcohol nose. Sweet, syrupy, alcohol, pepper, salty, medium bodied, finishing sweetly. Oh man, I cant finish this, cuz It reminds me of some sort of Polish Steel Reserve. Not terribly impressed folks.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
larsniclas (6337) - Billdal, SWEDEN - AUG 3, 2003
They've done it again. Destroyed an acceptable beer by pouring vodka in it. A promising aroma with hop and smokiness, but the flavour...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
rickgordon (3846) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - AUG 2, 2003
Amber. Malty aroma with some hops. Not such bad taste considering the alcohol content. Some smokiness in the flavor.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hildigöltur (5105) - Křbenhavn, DENMARK - JUL 30, 2003
Looks good with deep amber colour and big white head. Sweet alcoholic aroma. Flavour is extremely sweet with too much alcohol. Syrupy and sticky. I am very surprised that so many RateBeerians like this brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jgb9348 (5321) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - JUL 28, 2003
Dark golden, light amber colour with a great tan head that was almost exactly like one from a nitrogen can. Aroma of smoked apples, and a seemingly good combination of hops and malt. The taste is full-bodied with smokey flavours. The hops cannot overpower the smoke and the malt is just peeking through. The alcohol is very evident all the way through the bottle, but with the density of this beer and the flavour, it isn't too crazy to have almost 10%. I bought this 13.52 ounce bottle at Beers of the World in Rochester, New York.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aurelius (4834) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 16, 2003
Cinnamon amber with tall offwhite foamrubber head that refused to break. Good label and potato-masher bottle. Leathery malt aroma. Even the foam had a kick. Malty, without seeming very bocky. Slow alcohol burn after the malt sweetness wears thin. I guess this is the best-balanced strong lager that I've had -- though I'm now wondering what exactly distinguishes that from a bock. (I brew ales, so I never really paid much attention to that sort of thing. When I pitch in more malt, it just makes whatever I'm brewing 'Imperial'.) Quick sweetish finish. Quite good -- though my palate is more accustomed to Belgian yeast in this ABV context.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - JUL 9, 2003
Nice white head, even though 9% the alcohol was muted to the taste but definately was there at the finish. I noticed a tingle to the tongue and otherwise found nothing negative about the brew. I would drink again but not if i had to drive.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUL 4, 2003
Amber color with huge beige head. Sticky and lasting lace. Very faint aroma althogether, possible hint of honey. Front is malt sweet, then mostly alcohol with dry acidic finish. Everpresent is the alcohol in this brew, although there is some spiciness as you progress. This is my first sample of this style and I have to say it is better than a malt liquor and probably serves the same purpose. If all you are searching for is strong brew, then there are better alternatives. This was interesting for sure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - JUN 22, 2003
First Polish beer I have ever had...interesting clear orange-brown color, very noticeable brown sugar flavor, rather good...due to the alcohol content, not something one could drink a few in a row of, but an interesting beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
fly (1450) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUN 4, 2003
My ability to note the subtle details in a beers aroma and palate are so inconsequential in comparison to the may fine raters here so rather than submit a comment on the aroma or the finish or any of the meaningful elements I thought I might add detail to the purchase of said beer, walk home, elevator ride, seating and glassware. I was delighted to find only two and a half blocks from my friends loft a Polish deli with not one or two, but in the ball park of twenty beers that I had never had before. Finding one that not only looked interesting, but had the combination of 9.1 ABV and reference to an astronomer I figured I was in for a good thing. Asking the lady behind the counter how to say "thank you" in Polish was yet another life lesson. She turned to her coworker and spent the next two minutes conversing in Polish before turning back to me with a laser like grin. Okay, time to walk back to the loft past all the extremely interesting Greenpoint crowd, up the four flights, past the dog and onto his fur covered couch where the beer is to be poured into one of the glasses from my pals collection of tumblers given him by his highly entertaining mother. The quarter inch glass adds to the sturdy feeling of the beer and the sweetness does its best to say that this isn't really as strong as it is but not very hard. It says "I come from far away, I great you with the humble arms of a comrade that wishes for you to become one with the couch". I take its heed, sip away and do my best to forget that the ABV is the biggest element to be found.