Highland Black Mountain Bitter

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 76   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
A style of Pale Ale, Black Mountain Bitter will be lightly hopped with traditional British hop varieties to balance the malt sweetness yet encourage it to tend toward the dry side.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
astrofrk (341) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 22, 2009
On tap at Barley’s. Light amber. Medium, white head. Aroma: Citris hops, caramel. Flavor: Citris hops, earth. Mild bitter finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
gsteph (321) - knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 9, 2009
I should have known better. I normally like Highland’s stuff. I swayed away from the Cattail Wheat because of other ratings. I should have listened to my gut on this one too. Pours a light, clear golden color. Oh shit....clear and light. Head is super thin and white...damn. This is not good so far. Nose....skunky but floral at the same time. How is this so you ask? Flavor is floral and springy with fresh grass....finishes metallic and bitter. So far the only thing they seemed to get right with this one. Oh this is bad. So bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
adavis234 (286) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 3, 2009
12 oz bottle. Pours a beautiful copper-gold with a thin, off-white head. Grassy hop signature with heavy hints of malt as well. Heavy malt flavor to go with a woody, hoppy finish. A well-balanced beer, both flavorful and light.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
xs2500 (180) - Mississippi, USA - JAN 3, 2010
Pours a lite golden color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Has slight floral aroma. Flavor is mildly bitter with some floral yet metallic flavors, drinkable, not really enjoyable

OldStyleCubFan (77) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 26, 2009
I don’t rate much, actually, this is my first rating in 3+ years. I wanted to stick up for this beer. I have been very critical of the Highland seasonals. I’ve disliked them all up to this point and went into this beer assuming I would dislike it. First off, its an English bitter not APA as currently listed. This is without a doubt the best American brewed bottled bitter I’ve had. It probably helps that is very fresh. The big bitter EKG finish is beautiful. You will often get fresh English Pales at brewpubs in the States that end up with a ‘tea like’ beer or watery C-hopped thing. This is a very well brewed bitter. I would love to see more season bitters and milds. I don’t know the ABV but I would guess its close to 4% and it’s the perfect beer for what it is, a fresh English style session beer. I’ve been very down on Highland and this beer brought back the faith. Viva American brewed small beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BanjoDude (57) - Kingsport, Tennessee, USA - MAR 1, 2009
Pour a nice golden color with a small white head. A nice bitter aroma, very well balanced. Nice winter beer.