overall

RATINGS: 336   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Our ever-changing spiced winter seasonal. A tasty brew that complements all your holiday festivities. It is typically malty in body, lightly hopped, and rounded out with spices that we vary from year to year.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
lb4lb (2548) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2007
bottle courtesy of DrBayern
Rich maroon brown with a fluffy beige head. Smell is sweet, malt, vanilla, cream and perhaps some butteriness or butterscotch. Kind of reminds me of scotch ales, which i’m not too keen on. Taste is smooth vanilla, cream and caramelly malt. A good beer, in all honesty, but something about the strong sweet vanilla like aroma that was a bit cloying or unpleasant to me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
NachlamSie (2783) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 14, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2010 draught. This brew pours a dark, rich red with no head really. There’s a malty fruity aroma. Quite a boquet, I couldn’t isolate anything in particular. One of the brewers at Highland told me that since the NC 6% cap has been lifted, this year’s Cold Mountain Ale would be higher alcohol than before. Not sure how that affected the taste. It was full and tart with a persevering sweetness. There’s also just a small spiced aspect reminiscent of cloves, cinnamon, and toasty brown sugar. The finish has a bit of smoked wood chips. Nice, but this made me think more of an autumn seasonal brew.
[Jan 2, 2009]
On tap at The Ship. Man, I still do not understand why this stuff flies off the shelves in North Carolina when so much other superior beer is available, even from Highland itself. I purchased this one today because in Gatlinburg, pickin’s are slim. This is a red, clear pour with a decent head. Spices are definitely in the aroma, and give the beer a soda-like identity. I am reminded of cola, licorice, cherry, and nutmeg. The mouthfeel is medium. This is a pretty sticky brew in a candyish way. Nutmeg is definitely noticed along with the sticky soda type sweetness. I want something heartier, bolder for the winter months. This is a sticky sweet spiced beer. Makes me think of cola .
[February 25, 2010]
Big quart bottle. Last time I tried this I decided once and for all that I don’t like it but my buddy brought some back and offered me a glass, so here we go again. The aroma is overly spiced. It reminds me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Lots of heavy spiced, sweet cereal flavor is all over this. It kind of reminds me of cream soda with Cinnamon Toast Crunch in it. I do not like this.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - APR 2, 2006
Thanks to JPDipso for sharing this. Pours a clear amber color, small white head. Aroma is baby powder, cinnamon lots of other spices lavender. Flavor is sweet, more lavender and spice, malty, not a lot of hops, strange candy sweetness.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mwbrady12 (469) - Orlando, Florida, USA - NOV 19, 2012
Mild aroma and almost red appearance with a complex floral taste and warming mouthfeel. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cheap (4110) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 13, 2011
expecting some sort of barley wine. Had this on tap at Willards Tap House in largo fla. Fairly clear, Nice clean attractive aroma. Initial flavor are spicey or sumthin and comes across rather creamy on the co2. Bitter alky builds thru the session. Medicinal finish.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
buerckholtz (33) - asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 21, 2006
At barleys tap room on draught, this 2006 edition poured w/ a thin white head. Looks like the Gaelic Ale in color. Smells of sweet artificial flavor. Almost like a cream sicle in taste. Sweet, colying, finishes wet. Would expect more out of highland. Sorry.