overall

RATINGS: 709   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A unique Highland creation, this robust beer is black in color, very malty with hints of chocolate-roasted flavor and a well balanced hop character.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerBB (132) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 3, 2006
rather thin overall. some roasted malts with a little chocolate countered with some hops. Nothing notable in this beer. Love the style overall but this beer was just a weak attempt at it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerloverEJ21 (131) - Georgia, USA - NOV 8, 2007
Had this one first in a bar, then tried it again at home. Both were in 12oz bottles. Great look, great taste, not too strong, mildly sweet, balanced bitterness, finishes well leaving you wanting more. This has entered its way into my normal beer selection I think, for I buy it occasionally. When I want a good dark beer, Highland is a good way to go.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerGuyTWMore (128) - Florida, USA - JUN 18, 2009
dark brown, tawny thick head;more body than appears-nice creamy palate; smells of oats and mocha; tastes milk chocolate and mocha, little oat. Overall very tastey

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rebelbrewer (125) - Lithonia, Georgia, USA - MAY 24, 2006
On tap at the Brick Store Pub and served in a pint glass. This was a very dark beer almost black, but when held up to the light it was a very deep (very) amber color. It had a creamy off-white head and left minimal lacing on the glass. The aroma was of roasted malts with no hops presence. The taste was pretty much the same, but chocolate notes were detectable. I rated this beer before I enjoyed it with a hunk of chocolate cake to celebrate my b-day. :-)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
CP (124) - USA - MAR 3, 2008
Pretty solid porter, aroma was a bit funky, but it tasted a lot better. Not really strong with the flavor, but a consistent roated oat taste throughout. It is a smooth beer and easy to drink. A little watery on the palate, but that is to be expected with a porter. Good Beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
apost8n8 (123) - USA - OCT 25, 2004
Wow! After working several days and nights my fellow workmates and I decided a refreshing drink was in order to replenish our strength and resolve to finish our task. Off we trekked to the local brewpub with hops and barley malt memories on our tastebuds. Too our total shock they were completely out of beer! No porters, no ales, no blondes, no pilsners. Macrobrewed pale water was our only resort. With great displeasure we made our sore order. A few minutes later with expectations so low our waiter returned with four Highland Oatmeal Porters in Hand! What is this new brew. It poured black with a frothy head delicious hoppy start with smooth chocolate and caramel malty finish. I had to have another. Twas a fine fine day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JustinFromAL (123) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - DEC 30, 2008
Poured a deep brown with red tint. medium tan head. Chocolate malt on the nose. Initially a very smooth beer with a bit of a malted aftertaste. In one word: Creamy. I think this will be my go to Porter!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
maugus4ever (123) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - MAY 20, 2009
Pours almost black with a tan head and decent lacing. Aroma of roasted malts and oatmeal. Sweet flavor with some chocolate and a crisp slightly hoppy finish. Pretty good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Steverus0 (120) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - FEB 27, 2013
I've been a little spoiled with dark beers, but I really see an oatmeal beer having greater depth than this porter brings to the party ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
sallad (115) - USA - JUN 28, 2008
Clear, dark bronze with deep ruby highlights. Rocky beige head. Dark chocolate in the nose, with hints of charred earth and wood, faint spice of hops. A little bitey up front, then bitter bakers chocolate mixed with orange peels. Kinda harsh, but finishes thick with black malt.