overall

RATINGS: 709   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A unique Highland creation, this robust beer is black in color, very malty with hints of chocolate-roasted flavor and a well balanced hop character.

postmodern (1) - USA - OCT 19, 2004 does not count
This my favirite beer, poter is my far the best form of beer for me. I had this in Gatlingburg, Tn at a pub please pick this beer up abd give it a try

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
j2112oe (3) - USA - DEC 18, 2005 does not count
The best beer I have had to date. Dark color, great head retention. great mouthfeel, a sense of thickness. Distinct licorice taste. perfection.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
bryanstrings (1) - augusta, Georgia, USA - JUN 27, 2012 does not count
This is a great beer. That subtle vanilla really sets a smooth finish. Though, Iím currently enjoying this at night it would really make a nice brunch beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 5, 2002
It is hard for me to find anything even silightly not perfect with this beer. Great flavor. Chocolate, and roasted flavor, perfect balance of bitterness, and wonderful aroma. I usually donít even care about foam retention, and even that is good. Makes me proud to be from NC, and shows that even our backwards, idiotic, and negligent beer laws canít prevent good beer from happening.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
apost8n8 (123) - USA - OCT 25, 2004
Wow! After working several days and nights my fellow workmates and I decided a refreshing drink was in order to replenish our strength and resolve to finish our task. Off we trekked to the local brewpub with hops and barley malt memories on our tastebuds. Too our total shock they were completely out of beer! No porters, no ales, no blondes, no pilsners. Macrobrewed pale water was our only resort. With great displeasure we made our sore order. A few minutes later with expectations so low our waiter returned with four Highland Oatmeal Porters in Hand! What is this new brew. It poured black with a frothy head delicious hoppy start with smooth chocolate and caramel malty finish. I had to have another. Twas a fine fine day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
CobyKnoxTN (3) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 8, 2007 does not count
One of my favorites. Thick and sweet, but with a nice bitter finish. I drink this stuff religiously. Reccomended.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drewdogg (62) - USA - JUL 30, 2004
I am a huge porter fan and Highlandís unique porter deserves a lot of praise. Very rich flavor and not watered down as some recent porters have become.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Malty_MacHops (640) - Eastanollee, Georgia, USA - MAR 7, 2012
Excellent! I have some congestion and I can still make out a strong chocolate malt presence. The beer is deep ruby brown with a creamy tan head leaving plenty of lacing. The taste is chocolate malt with a touch of coffee character and some nice floral hop notes to balance. The beer is on the thick side of medium and silky smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
finn1918 (190) - Georgia, USA - OCT 23, 2012
Pours a dark brown with a one-finger light brown head that fades quickly and leaves very little lacing. Aroma is weak, but mostly chocolate malts. Taste is the same, with sweetness overcoming a very modest hop bitterness. Overall, this is a very solid beer, but nothing particularly noteworthy. I could go for a second of these.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AndyW68 (811) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - FEB 9, 2013
Dark brown and tan head. Aroma of roasted chocolate malt. Taste of roasted chocolate malt and caramel with a dark chocolate bitter finish.