Highland Schenk’s Cream Ale

Highland Schenk’s Cream Ale
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 2.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
We are proud to present homebrewer Aaron Schenk’s Cream Ale as Best of Show in the first annual Highland Cup held earlier this year. Highland will enter this beer in the 2008 Great American Beer Festival’s Pro Am competition held in Octover. This limited edition beer will only be sold in the local Western North Carolina area. This cream ale strikes a perfect balance between the clean profile of American Two Row Barley Malt, the grainy maltiness of German Pilsner Malt, and the crisp bitterness of Mt. Hood hops. A perfect summer beer!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
NachlamSie (2723) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 21, 2008
Bomber from Bruisin’ Ales. I really enjoy most of the Highland lineup. But lately, they’ve been letting me down. A golden lager, an American wheat ale, now a cream ale. What is going on? I pour this brew into a snifter to reveal a crystalline light golden body with a small whitish head. The aroma is corny and grassy with a metallic quality I associate sometimes with lager yeasts. The flavor is very metallic and astringent with a drying, papery finish. Corn husks are found throughout the flavor. To me, cream ales cut the worst of the worlds of ales and lagers. It’s one of my least favorite styles, so while this is probably the intended package, it’s just not for me. It’s got the metallic, corny edge of a light lager, but has the bluntness of an ale. II find it baffling that this beat out a "centennial stout" in the Highland brewing competition. I take a few more sips while I’m pondering this whole situation. I felt most curious to taste a new brew from the good guys at Highland, though I didn’t have high hopes for a cream ale. I just don’t get it. This beer is really nothing special, in my humble opinion. It’s pretty close to a lot of light bodied, mass produced lagers. I think I can finish the bomber while I grill up some tasty steaks, but I’m pretty disappointed here. I mean, I want something more. . .maybe some sweeter, more complex esters, maybe some stronger, more defined hop qualities. This is pretty much grocery- store-beer-aisle in Sevierville material. Okay, just a little parting thought. I tried to finish the bomber and could not make it. The metallic and corn husk flavors keep compounding. Not my cup of tea.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TikiE (368) - Sylva, North Carolina, USA - SEP 18, 2008
Bottled: We saw it at the BP in Sylva and had to try this rare beer, which was kind of a let down. Pours a gold color with thin white lacing. Nothing in the smell but malts and faint hints of grass. Taste crisp though, not to malty, but kind of bland, with a hint of cream that is extremly faint, that doesn’t last. Glad I had it, but probably wont get it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Collint (475) - Sylva, North Carolina, USA - SEP 18, 2008
Bottle, special adition from the local BP in Sylva NC. Pours a clear dark yellow with a thin white head. Aroma is grassy and malty. Flavor is clean earthy and grassy. Taste like a pilsner, the end is dry thin body. Only 2.99, I am glad I live so close to the brewery!