Highland Schenk’s Cream Ale

Highland Schenk’s Cream Ale
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 2.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
We are proud to present homebrewer Aaron Schenk’s Cream Ale as Best of Show in the first annual Highland Cup held earlier this year. Highland will enter this beer in the 2008 Great American Beer Festival’s Pro Am competition held in Octover. This limited edition beer will only be sold in the local Western North Carolina area. This cream ale strikes a perfect balance between the clean profile of American Two Row Barley Malt, the grainy maltiness of German Pilsner Malt, and the crisp bitterness of Mt. Hood hops. A perfect summer beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 16, 2008
Bottle courtesy of durhambeer. Pours copper with a white head. Smells of some sweet malt, light citrus, toasted malt. Tastes sweet with a citrussy hint and a touch of bitterness on the finish. I can see why this won best in show. Excellent!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Suttree (5266) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 22, 2008
Sampled at Brewgrass 2008, Dark yellow, smallish white head. Corny, citrusy aroma. Flavor is similiar, with a borny flavor up front and a mellow, tasty hop finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
decaturstevo (5215) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - FEB 8, 2009
Light sweet corn and malt aroma. Gold with a creamy thick head and lace. Flavor of sweet corn. Thin and slightly watery. A decent cream ale. I will re-rate when my palate is in better shape.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
emacgee (4147) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - OCT 3, 2008
Pours a pale greenish yellow with a 1-2 finger sticky frothy white head. The nose is cornish, lager yeast definitely comes though, a tad sweet, some hay and grassy hops, bready. The flavor is sweet, bready, some grassy hops, cornish. Easy to drink and sessionable but not something we need another one of on the market.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
TURDFERGUSON (3969) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 15, 2010
Bottle. I just don’t understand the appeal of cream ales, number 1. Secondly, why would a large craft brewery choose a cream ale as the winner for it’s annual homebrew competition when nobody even knows what a cream ale is. Thirdly, this beer is not very good, but it may be great for a cream ale. I think Gennesee’s cream ale is the standard and its actually the best one I have ever had. This was way too sweet, corn flakes, grain, didn’t taste much of the crisp hops. And this year they chose a kolsch, and not only a kolsch, but a shat one. Surprise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Butters (3860) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 16, 2008
Bomber. Pours a near clear yellow with a ring of white head. Sweet corn aroma and flavor with hints of vanilla. Very clean. One of the best cream ales ive had, but that still is not saying much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SpringsLicker (3170) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 12, 2009
Thanks to Butters for sharing this one at decaturstevo’s 2008 Zapit Tasing Tasting. Slightly hazy medium yellow body with a fleeting, thin white head. No aroma. No flavor Thin, watery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 17, 2008
decaturstevo’s 2008 Zapit Tasing Tasting. Sample from a bottle thanks to Butters. Clear yellow body with a thin white head. Light body, aroma is adjunct, corn, pils malt. Dry pils malt taste, corn then a light hoppiness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
NachlamSie (2809) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 21, 2008
Bomber from Bruisin’ Ales. I really enjoy most of the Highland lineup. But lately, they’ve been letting me down. A golden lager, an American wheat ale, now a cream ale. What is going on? I pour this brew into a snifter to reveal a crystalline light golden body with a small whitish head. The aroma is corny and grassy with a metallic quality I associate sometimes with lager yeasts. The flavor is very metallic and astringent with a drying, papery finish. Corn husks are found throughout the flavor. To me, cream ales cut the worst of the worlds of ales and lagers. It’s one of my least favorite styles, so while this is probably the intended package, it’s just not for me. It’s got the metallic, corny edge of a light lager, but has the bluntness of an ale. II find it baffling that this beat out a "centennial stout" in the Highland brewing competition. I take a few more sips while I’m pondering this whole situation. I felt most curious to taste a new brew from the good guys at Highland, though I didn’t have high hopes for a cream ale. I just don’t get it. This beer is really nothing special, in my humble opinion. It’s pretty close to a lot of light bodied, mass produced lagers. I think I can finish the bomber while I grill up some tasty steaks, but I’m pretty disappointed here. I mean, I want something more. . .maybe some sweeter, more complex esters, maybe some stronger, more defined hop qualities. This is pretty much grocery- store-beer-aisle in Sevierville material. Okay, just a little parting thought. I tried to finish the bomber and could not make it. The metallic and corn husk flavors keep compounding. Not my cup of tea.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
OldGrowth (2758) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - SEP 22, 2008
pint @ Barley’s Tap. Ok aroma, sweet. Little corn, little white sugar, sour grassy notes. Clean orangy gold color, good head that faded quickly, ok lace. Sweet bitter flavors, like aroma. Malt has that malt ball kind of taste. Lite body, thin creamy mouthfeel, sweet finish. Hits the mark for a cream ale. Didn’t make me want another. Flavor would be my favorite part as I got a little more out of it than aroma.