overall

RATINGS: 254   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children.† In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abnerís well.† It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped.† Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.†

egajdzis (5196) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2010
[Various cask samples] Hazy to cloudy dark golden color with a medium sized, white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of pine, citrus, grass, grapefruit, tropical fruits, toast, and herb-like qualities. Taste was resiny with pine, orange, citrus fruits, grassy, with light earthiness, and a bitter hop finish. This one will put you in another world.

mariano42 (7) - St. Johnsbury, Vermont, USA - JUL 20, 2010 does not count
I am not a Big IPA or Double IPA fan, not my style at all. That said, this is simply amazing beer., The most sessionable, refreshing big IPA I have ever had. LIke his regular strength IPAs, this beer is a flawless beer. If more brewers took chances in the brewing process they might be able to achieve a beer like this instead of throwing a bunch of junk in the pot and saying wow look at our double mumbo jumbo bad ass triple hoppy blah blah blah IPA. Shaun Hill is cranking out beer that is totally unhooked. The guy is competing with himself right now. People whine about the price. They should drink something else if they arenít willing to pay an extra buck for something outstanding that doesnít match their expectations of what lazy brewers have set as the standard American Double IPA.

jmilo64 (40) - Maine, USA - MAR 10, 2012
review date: 3/4/12 poured from growler into a Sam Adams glass Nose: strong floral hops with a bit of sweet alcohol Appearance: Thin head that dissapates quicky, beautiful cloudy golden in color Taste: I can find nothing wrong with this beer. Potent hoppy grapefruit with a very nice, lasting, slightly bitter finish. No floral or sweet notes as I noticed in the smell, but just perfect. Finished the 750ml growler over a three day period and found it more pleasurable with each pour. On day 2 and 3 I had it in a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass, and I think that made it even better as the aromas came out a bit more. One last note, on day three I followed my last Abner with my 2nd-ever Heddy Topper. Both beers weigh in at 8%+ APV with no inidication of being this strong, and both are wonderful, but for my money, Abner wins this head-to-head Vermont competition :)

tampatonz (1) - - JUL 1, 2012 does not count
I smell peaches! Looks great in a snifter, then BOOM! the hops hit you. Wonderful citrusy, piney taste. Reminds me of Bells Hop Slam, and thatís a compliment! I canít really comment on the malt because Iím too wrapped up on the hops. First time, but definitely not last time!

radiomgb (2143) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 14, 2012
Hazy orange in colour with a thin white head, good lacing. The aroma is very floral, very hoppy, lots of grapefruit, peaches, pineapple, quite tropical really. The flavour is of pineapple and peaches, some oranges and grapefruit, resinous, some caramel, lots of hops. Bitter mouthfeel, medium body, moderate carbonation. Finishes long, fruity and hoppy.

Just incredible. Easily one of the best aromas and my new favorite DIPA. Dangerously drinkable.

Draught at Dieu du Ciel 13th Anniversary Party on September 17, 2011.

cwcarterjr (1) - - JUL 28, 2012 does not count
Whenever Iím away from Greensboro, the suspicion looms that my favorite beer of all time is benefiting from its associatiions with Greensboro. I just tasted it again for perhaps the tenth time. It is clearly superior to any other brew Iíve ever tasted anywhere!!

jkwood04 (3430) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 26, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2014 Sampled at the brewery. Pours cloudy golden with a white head. Aroma of a lot of hops plus a good amount of malts. Flavor of a lot of citrus hops. Average to smooth texture. Great. Edit: Growler in the HF glass. Aroma of so much fruity, floral, and citrusy hops. Flavor a perfect blend of these hops and the malts. A great beer. Edit 2: This is the IPA to beat right now. Sorry Dreadnaught and Heady for turning my back on you, but Abner is the pinnacle of hoppy beers right now. Edit 3: How does HF do this? This beer smells like heaven and tastes like unicorn tears mixed with the nectar of the gods and the perfect blend of hops. If I could only drink one hoppy beer for the rest of my life, this is it. Edit 4: Every time I taste this beer its score gets closer and closer to perfect. Maybe thatís because this beer is perfect. Edit 5: Oh yeah, it is perfect. Edit 5 - Rating = 5. This is the most perfect beer I have tasted.

BrentBlack (10) - Adirondacks, New York, USA - JAN 26, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2013 My very favorite beer! I still remember my first one at the Farmhouse Tap & Grill. Best DIPA in my opinion. Hop goodness. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Troncone (5) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2013 does not count
An absolutely other-worldly beer from one of the best breweries on the planet. Unbelievable.

andrewjames78 (4) - Underhill, Vermont, USA - NOV 21, 2013 does not count
This beer is amazing and is totally worth the trip through windy roads in rural VT. Every bit as tasty as the Heady Topper IMHO