overall

RATINGS: 400   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett. 7.5% ALC/VOL 21º P Ingredients: Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBeCue (103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 22, 2012
500ml bottle from Winooski Beverage Warehouse purchased last May (thanks guys!) poured into stem glass. OK wait. WOW. Pours one of the deepest and most opaque black I’ve ever seen. Taking a LED flashlight through the glass, you can’t see a thing!! Head is practically nonexistent, only a small ring prevails. Aroma is, oh gosh, a symphony of cocoa, dark chocolate, dried fruits, tobacco, slight vanilla, coffee, caramel malt, very faint alcohol, and a nice blend of hops in the background, wow, seriously I understand why the guy at Winooski just dumped this in my hands when I asked him to show me around and mentionned that stouts and porters were one of my favs...!!! They had just received a case and it was almost gone 20mins later...Ok back on track! Taste is medium-sweet, bitterness is floating in the background. This is REALLY well-balanced; the only other American robust porter I had was Smuttynose’s and although I liked that one really really much for its sugar contents and milk-chocolate like qualities, I like the Everett a bit more for its balance and more "mature" characteristics. If it was possible, I’d give it 4.65 as I gave Smuttynose’s 4.6. Palate is also out of this world, so slick and smooth...with a soft carbonation which slightly tingles your tongue. Finish is long, roasty (pretty rare, normally it degrades into acidity) and a just a bit bitter. Overall, you know what? I just fell off my chair, and no, I’m not drunk. This is a beer to be treated with respect, a masterpiece. I waited from May until the early days of autumn to drink this as I had a feeling it would be a great, comforting drink to accompany a chilly night and although this might be getting a bit too poetic, well, I was right. Bravo.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RLiddell (47) - Valrico, Florida, USA - SEP 15, 2012
Guest tap earlier this summer at Cigar City. Aroma was typical of a great porter, smokey, cocoa hints of coffee. First sip caused me to check to confirm that this was, indeed, a porter. This richness and mouth feel was better than many imperial stouts! This was the best porter that I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NikkTwist (1745) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 14, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2014 Draft at Eulogy. Opaque brown with a thick brown foamy head. Huge porter. Chocolate caramel. Somewhat smoky. Sweet charcoal. Burnt marshmallow. Espresso. Tootsie Rolls. Smoked bacon. Black as pitch but still quite creamy. Probably the best Hills Farmstead has to offer. Which is meant as a compliment.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeM500 (1906) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - SEP 12, 2012
Opaque dark chocolate bar color, gorgeous tan head via pour from very fresh bottle acquired in trade. Huge chocolate and cacao nose, grassy/straw hop aromas, too. Hits the lips with blast of sweetness and immediate complexity. Robust is the perfect adjective, bursting with flavor, rich, thick but not overly heavy. Toasty malts are absolutely perfect with the middle of the mouthful feeling creamy and desert-like. The hops provide a very distinct grapefruit aroma as it warmed and some citrus notes lingered with the grassiness at the very finish. An amazing porter, easily the best I’ve had in a bottle. Dying to try more from this brewery!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Marheb (2298) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 8, 2012
On m’avait vanté le charisme d’Everett dès mon arrivé chez Hill Farmstead. Après plusieurs dégustations aussi pugnaces les unes des autres, Everett réussi a briller. Les sucres proviennent de partout et font tout, le corps est riche mais digeste et les houblons fonctionnent en symbiose avec la balance des saveurs. Noix de coco, tabac, chocolat, caramel, figues, nougat et une liste de végétaux résineux et aromatiques. En fût comme en bouteille, un chef d’oeuvre.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
17thfloor (2433) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2012
Wow. This is freaking good. Reminds me a lot of Founders Porter. Some citrus hops and an amazing roast malt depth. This makes me want to go buy a sixes of Founders right now! Fantastic balance of roast and pine and citrus.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
davey101 (696) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 4, 2012
22 oz bomber into a tulip glass. No clue what age/vintage it is, but I believe its somewhat fresh. A - Pitch black body which lets zero light through. Massive fluffy mocha head. Settles down to a frothy cap with crazy amounts of retention. The foam just clings to the glass the entire time. Probably the best lacing I’ve ever seen on a beer. S - Robust indeed. Deep roasty malts, fresh espresso beans, sweet and lactic milk chocolate, and a touch of bitter mineral rich water. Finishes with sweet and rich vanilla. Perfect aroma. T - Follows the nose with a pleasant mix of intense espresso beans, milk chocolate, vanilla and perfectly roasted malts. Just a touch of hop bitterness to work against the sweetness and richness of it all. Booze isn’t present in the taste but there is a light warmth happening in the throat. M - Slick and coating mouth feel. Very silky with a high level of carbonation that prevents it from being cloying. O - The best porter I’v ever had, easily. Which sucks considering how tough it is to get bottles of this beer. Hype and availability aside, Hill Farmstead is the real deal. Unbelievable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nyindiansfan (463) - rochester, New York, USA - SEP 2, 2012
Bottle pours black tan head. Very smooth creamy has a bit of carb in it. Tastes smells roasty chocolate bit of Vinillia. Has a nice crisp finish. Everyone says not too bit I felt it was just before it mellowed out. Over all mi e beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Steasy66 (995) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 27, 2012
Black with medium dark brown head. Aroma is all roast. Taste is smooth, roasty, none of the tartness that ruins most porters for me. Body is smooth with medium to light crisp carbonation. This is the best porter I have ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
boxofrane (2254) - Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2012
Draft at railroad. Pours pitch black with no head to speak of. Aroma is chocolate and coffee and very sweet. Taste is chocolate up front with a sharp coffee ground finish.