overall

RATINGS: 376   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett. 7.5% ALC/VOL 21º P Ingredients: Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Verecund's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Verecund (82) - North Carolina, USA - MAY 8, 2011
Opened on May 4, 2011. I have previously had the barrel-aged version, which was really nice, so I was looking forward to this. Thanks to RSchaeffer for the extra!

Pours black with two full fingers of thick tan head. Shaun knows his aesthetics. Ridiculous lacing. The only complaint is that the second pour yields almost too much head (four full fingers).

Smoky roast coffee, tons of milk chocolate, dark fruit and a nice milky creaminess. Toffee sweetness alongside a really pleasant spiciness. The sweeter and milky parts remind me of Velvet Merkin, but this features much more spicy balancing complexity and "robust," smoky elements.

Both milk and [xx%] cocoa dark chocolate, espresso roast coffee beans, peppercorn, and an ashy smokiness. The spicy oak found in the -bal version is here too. How? - I have no idea. More or less maps onto the nose.

At first, this has too much carbonation - medium-bodied, with full, expanding-in-the-mouth carbonation. Thirty minutes later, the creaminess characteristic of HFS comes through, and the body feels appropriately fuller.

Different, but pleasantly so. It’s almost exactly what I expected - spicy, somewhat smoky, rich, quietly oaky, with coffee and chocolate. A winner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
lapalou (24) - Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2014
Dark smooth mouthfeel, great deep malty was, slight chocolate. Fantastic porter from growler share. Nice complex finish. Everything a porter should be.

RussianDragon (431) - - AUG 9, 2014
Growler shared by yourefragile, thanks Moll. Pours a dark brown/near black with dark cherry hues when backlit. Head fades quickly to edge with spotty lacing. Aroma is roasted malts, tobacco leaves, smoke, and pleasant coffee bitterness. Flavor is same with balanced roasty notes with bittersweet chocolate bitterness and malty sweetness. Full bodied, and moderate carbonation. Bitter chocolate finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikedR (1146) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - AUG 6, 2014
The epitome of the perfect porter. Seriously. Beautiful mouthfeel. The taste is the absolute right combination of dark malts, sweetness, and roastiness. I swear I even taste a wee bit of bourbon, but I could be hallucinating. This is one good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rxeight (1278) - Illinois, USA - AUG 5, 2014
2L growler. Massive thanks to my friend Matt. I owe you big time. I honestly didn’t have that big of expectations for this one. Damon was kind of disappointing. Thought this might just be hype driven. Boy was I wrong. I have no idea how a porter can be this good. Perfect balance of roast and sweetness. Coffee, caramel, campfire, chocolate, cookie dough, twix bar. Every sip a new flavor. Before opening, I was wondering if the growler would be good tomorrow, assuming we would only drink half. Now I’m worried 67 oz might not be enough for me and my wife.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BREWMUSKCLES (2224) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 4, 2014
cocoa a bit gritty and with some smoke. medium body somewhat chewy and not too heavy on pine or malt. some roast in there,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mark_Eck (656) - - AUG 4, 2014
Draft. Pours black. Aroma and taste are roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kathouse (991) - Nevada, USA - AUG 3, 2014
An average porter at first, this began to grow on me the more I drank it. Lots of chocolate and roasted notes, dry with hints of espresso. Medium/full body with good carbonation.Very dry finish with an ashy mouthfeel. Began to show some signs of sweetness as it warmed. Enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TXBadger (1334) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 3, 2014
Pours black like oil with khaki colored head. Cocoa, some caramel, and some malt on the nose; follows onto the palate. It’a decent porter, but I’m not quite getting why people are gushing over it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Experiment_Ale (988) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 2, 2014
At my place with Taylor, Justin, Kristen, Matt, Jacob, Jen, other Matt. Pours black with lacing. Aroma is smooth bourbon, complex barrel, interesting and nice. Taste is so tasty, smooth interesting malts, chocolate, warm booze.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beerdedone (2603) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 2, 2014
Growler from brewery. Pours black with a creamy thin tan head. Aroma of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and had a hint of caramel. Flavor was rich and smooth with dark chocolate, roasted malts, roasted coffee, caramel and some smokiness. Medium-full body, silky texture, soft carbonation. A world class porter