Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 236   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Spring Saison brewed with honey and dandelions.

Hoppypocket (408) - Trois-rivieres, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 23, 2013
Pour is hazy golden with nice white head and good lacing. Aroma is herbal, zesty, flowers, brett, some honey. Taste is nicely tart, some brett, herbal, honey. Low body and lively carbonation. Very nice saison again by HF.

Westmeister (2129) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 21, 2013
750 ml bottle shared at Ale Alpharetta. My first HFS saison!!!! Poured hazy yellow with a fluffy white head and some nice lacing. The aroma was beautiful light funkiness and tartness, citrus, light sweet, floral, some grassiness as well. Taste was more floral (dandelions I suppose) than the nose. Tame funkiness, more grass and citrus. This was a different saison with the big floral punch, and it was lovely. I wants more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ineedbeer (1366) - Oakland, California, USA - SEP 11, 2013
Notes from Saturday's tasting. Aroma has light phenolics and esters. The esters were faint notes of pear and citrus. Light floral note present as well. Very delicate. Pours a cloudy pale yellow with a small white head that has decent retention. Leaves a light lacing on the glass. Flavor has moderate phenolics with a light hop spicules and floral quality. Faint mineral flavor to the beer but with a soft water character. Light pear, cider and citrus esters. Again, very delicate. Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with medium carbonation. Very soft, similar to a kolsch in the way it hits your palate and its delicateness. Low astringency and low alcohol warmth. Overall a very nice, soft saison. The thing I found most impressive with this beer is how you could taste the water, but it wasn't hard and harsh like some saisons can be. Delicate aroma and flavor with light floral notes. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ed5388 (2690) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - SEP 5, 2013
750ml bottle. Big thanks to onebigtymer11. Pours a murky straw yellow color with a huge foamy bright white head. Aroma of funky citrus, sour brett, cat pee, floral hops, and bready malt. Taste of sour citrus, grass, lemon rind, floral notes, and and some barnyard funk.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dmac (4958) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - SEP 5, 2013
750ml bottle via Ed5388. Poured a straw yellow super hazed body with a large super tight foamy white head. Aroma of lemons, flowers, honey, dandelions, yeast, breads and honey. Super delicate body with softer carbonation and a quicker fading aftertaste. Flavor of light flowers, lemons, slight sourness, yeast, breads, medicinal, some flower petals. So delicate yet good stuff here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
reggiedunlop (3536) - The dub c, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 29, 2013
Pours a gorgeous slightly hazy gold with a thick white head...nice lacing and retention. aroma has nice tart citrus as well as notes of brett, honey, and a touch of mild flowery/soapiness. flavor is very tart...lemony/citrusy...with notes of funk, wildflowers, and a hint of a floral/soapy taste....some rindy/grassy spice creeps in. mouthfeel is light and the finish is tart grepefruit/grass changing to lingering rind.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
nealblind (1284) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - AUG 26, 2013
Opaque bright pour big white head. Aroma of bretta, herbs, flowers, tartness. Funk forward in this one with simultaneous sour and honey notes punching through. Paradoxically dry and sweet at the same time. Great soft grainy texture coming from the spelt. Slightly overcarbed. Also great to have bitterness coming from dandelions and not just hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 1, 2013
It was a bottle. It had beer. Wet, cold and golden. Her name was Vera Mae and I loved her. She loved me. The dandelions were in spring and smelled of dandelions. I loved the dandelions. The fresh green scent of spring’s winter wheat came forth as well. The bread from the baker was grand. It was warm and Vera was cool, fresh. On that day I needed her cool love as she needed my warm embrace. Vera Mae seemed cool but she was also bitter. Bitter and cool. Like Spring, when the dandelions spring forth. When the air is cool, sometimes moist. Sometimes dew sets upon the grass. Her silhouette left little to the imagination, just a quenching of my thirst. My thirst for the love of a woman. I loved that about Vera Mae. Sweet and dry, She loved me as well. When I found Vera Mae, she had a look about her, almost coy. Haunting, she reminded me of someone. A past love perhaps. A Walloon lady of Brussels Soy even. I do not know what happened with Vera Mae, but I loved her. And she loved me. Where will I go now, what will I do. Where I go and what I do do not matter any longer, now that Vera Mae is no longer with me. I miss her. She loved me and I loved her. Sweet Vera Mae. It’s been many days now since she left me. I still think of her. I think about her and what she means to me. What she meant to me. It is summer now. It feels like spring. I can only think of Vera Mae now. Missing her bitter laugh, the way she quenches my thirst. Only she could bring forth some feelings from within me. How I loved tasting her, and she me. Such subtlety and kindness she had for me within her that it was almost too much. But now she is gone. And I am left with nothing. Just the empty bottom of my empty glass. But no matter. This is not the end. This is an opportunity. Perhaps Vera Mae has only left me temporarily. It has been but a fortnight. Sometimes they come back. They always come back. Her sweet Moravian skin with her dandelion perfume. Personification of spring she offered herself to me. Why is she no longer here with me? Will she come back? As I watch out the window on my train into Montpelier I wonder. Will she be waiting for me? Will I find her again. She always loved me and I always loved her. I hope she is waiting for me. I hope that I am not forced to climb to the top of the Hill once again. I hope she is waiting, cool and dry, awaiting my warm embrace. She will be waiting for me. She will offer all of herself to me. Only me. Just me. No one else. For Vera Mae is all mine.

drowland (7112) - Georgia, USA - JUL 31, 2013
Seven hundred and fifty milliliter bottle sampled thanks to a generous soul (possibly paid for by myself, but I do not think so) during the Craft Brewer’s Conference held in Washington, DC in the year Two Thousand and Thirteen within the month of February, the second month of the year (for those that do not know this fact). From the bottle into a wide mouth not decorated tulip, this beer pours a hazed golden pour with a pretty decent off white head that sticks and laces fairly decently. I would not call this a perfect pour, but it is quite nice. Imagine that you are watching a sunset and really enjoying where the yellow meets the orange but at the last moment, a small wispy cloud, almost like a touch of light white smoke, wafts pasts your sunset, only vaguely obfuscating your view. It is not necessarily a bad thing, almost welcome in a way, as it seems to make you squint to concentrate and focus that much more on the beauty before you. It’s like seeing a beautiful version tainted only by the fact that you know she kissed your arch enemy. The one man you wished she had not kissed. But regardless, she is now yours, so you must certainly indulge. Going back to the beer, I put my nose forward to ponder the aromas of such a wonderful elixir. The first whiff is glorious, momentous, but not the best you have smelled. Do not get me wrong, it is quite nice. A light tartness and funk hits the nose right away. I am imagining myself with a lemon and a cheese grater, lovingly scraping the peel away, not too hard and not too deep, as I do not want to hit that bitter rind, and of course, because, keeping with my virgin metaphor, I want to be gentle and loving, not too rough. Anyway, I am lovingly and gently scraping this lemon while walking through a very clean farm. Not too much funk, but you get a sense of where you are and why you are there. I stop for a minute to feed goats and horses the fresh lemon peel. They are hesitant, wondering what this puckering elixir is, but they accept. The horse particularly enjoys lightly shaved lemon peel sprinkled upon its salt lick. Who would have known? Lemon and salt – perhaps a Hill Farmstead Gose is in order here. After a few licks, I draw the horse back and mount for a taste. Light tartness and pleasant lemon and funk hit my lips, this time with a lightly bitter green aspect, perhaps dandelion? I am thinking perhaps my horse was munching on some delicious dandelion before it had licked my wonderful lemon salt concoction. Either way, the combination is quite divine. I think at home I shall start combining these entities into one delicious dish. However, that means I will have to not take care of my lawn, and I do not think the neighborhood will approve. Nice carbonation, a lively mouthfeel, like a romp through the park. Not bad at all.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RichTheVillan (5199) - West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUL 28, 2013
Bottle from International Trade; cloudy orange/yellow pour with frothy white head, funky barnyard aroma, the funk comes through in the taste aslo a hint of almond and honey.