overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Hoegaarden (InBev)
Style: Witbier
Hoegaarden, Belgium
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 4080   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Unfiltered Belgian White, flavored with coriander and orange peel, creating a sweet & sour taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
GarrettB (1413) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2007 Grace is a hard skill to acquire. It needs just enough force to perform, but enough silence to impress. Hoegaarden, like its personified equivalent the gymnast, accomplishes that task. It is a graceful beer with a graceful touch, and like an accomplished spy it makes its presence known and leaves before anybody can question its intent. So, for a simple beer, the Hoegaarden is difficult to touch. The visual appearance is a straightforward cloudy yellow. The shade reminds me of faded 1970ís lawn furniture, but donít let that discourage you from drinking it. The foam is thin and white and, sadly, unengaging, but I donít expect a heavy blanket on top of something like a witbier. The aroma gave me shivers at first, but that may be because my earlier experience with this type of beer was extremely disappointing. Inside the smell is the obvious wheat, a complement of lemon and a slightly distracting modicum of soap. If I really stretch it I can smell sour dough bread, but I think that may be my fondness for San Francisco and clam chowder speaking. Most surprising to me is the duration of Hoegaardenís taste. Like I mentioned before, it slips in and out before I can really grasp it and pick it apart. What I do know about this sly beer, is itís an excellent drink after some exercise or a hard day of pushing papers or furniture or whatever it is you do. Also, best served at colder temperatures. Unlike Belgian Ales the taste does not improve with warmth. Overall Iíd describe this beer as being very mild mannered and ethereal. There one moment and gone another. Itís not even missed once it escapes down my esophagus, yet I canít help but come back for another sip. Wily brew, this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
jdjuice (496) - Kumamoto, JAPAN - OCT 1, 2005
Nice appearance with fluffy pure white head and pale yellow body. I didnít really like the sour taste characteristic of the beer, not my style maybe. First taste is good, but the sour taste quickly develops and dominates the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Veer (362) - Landskrona, SWEDEN - SEP 28, 2005
Palle yellow w/ fluffy head. Lovely smells: coriander, yeast, and citric, banana. A bit watery, but very refreshing, Frizzy. Reminds me of Hoegaarden Grand Cru.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
yngwie (16423) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - SEP 27, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2006 Bottle. Hazy, pale yellow with with dense white head. Orange, coriander, banana and yeast in aroma. Light in flavour with a fizzy mouthfeel. Dry, but unhoppy aftertaste. Works well as a thirst-quencher, but tends to be a little too much after some bottles. (050927)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 25, 2005
This is a good Belgian White with a clear yellow color and a large white head. The nose is very lemon-esque and the taste is lemon-pie sweet and citrus bitter. Thereís also an acidic wheatiness and a lot of carbonation. The mouthfeel is thin and, sadly, the bitterness is neither strong nor complex, but then again that wouldnít be the goal with this style. It is probably the best of the popular examples of this style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ron (3507) - Rochester, New York, USA - SEP 22, 2005
Received a bottle of this from my friend JB. Poured a large thick white head. Aroma of citrus and yeast. Slightly sour. It was alright but I was hoping for more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
LondonIce (2) - USA - SEP 15, 2005 does not count
An excellent summer beer I enjoyed frequently in the Netherlands this past year. Yeasty aromas and a thick head (when properly poured) combine with a taste evocative of a warm afternoon in the low countries.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hughie (3996) - Bedford, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - SEP 13, 2005
Grey and cloudy with a thin, scummy head, this beer really doesnít appeal visually. The aroma was interesting, with yeast and spices. Flavour was citrus sour and a bit watery. I wanted more sweetness and bitterness. I felt there was too much carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
larsam (127) - Southampton, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - SEP 9, 2005
Light yellow, cloudy, with nice thick white head. Spicy citrus aroma. Taste of coriander and pommerade. A great beer for a hot summers day.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Tristan (14) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 7, 2005
Nice beer, smooth, nice taste and after taste, enjoy at any occasion. Belgian beers are among my favourites