overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Hoegaarden (InBev)
Style: Belgian White (Witbier)
Hoegaarden, Belgium
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 3695   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Unfiltered Belgian White, flavored with coriander and orange peel, creating a sweet & sour taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
thedm (4972) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 9, 2003
This brew poured an envigorated head of creamy fine white bubbles and a carbonated cloudy light yellow body. It had a mild banana-hop aroma. It started fizzy and buttery then finshed smoothly in a banana floral flavor. Indeed, this was another very nice brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3365) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JUN 8, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 18, 2003 Did I just have an off bottle? Did my tastes change? It hasn't been that long since I had this beer, and I remembered loving it. This one poured the cloudy pale yellow that I was expecting, but the head died fast and abruptly. The flavor was close to what I remember, orange followed by coriander, but the wheat field that I recalled was strangely lacking. Light bodied, as was expected, but a bizarre, biting astringency that lasted throughout the glass. Coriander came through more as it warmed. Disappointing, will need to rerate when I know I have a fresh bottle. RERATE, 6/18/03, just had it last week on draft, that was the beer I remembered. Beautiful wheat flavor, well balanced spiciness, none of the astringency from the bottle I had recently had, and a pretty lacing head to boot. Much better. Original ratings were 8/4/7/2/15.

BigSkyman007 (202) - USA - JUN 7, 2003
Interesting Belgian white, cloudy yellow appearance with a slight foamy head. Had hints of citrus and clove in the flavor. Very interesting, something that I'd have to try more of...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rickgordon (3845) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JUN 5, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2004 Bottled. Lovely beer. Hazy yellow. Citrusy with a spicy touch of coriander. Yummy and refreshing. This type has become a new favourite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
drywallman (334) - Lake in the Hills, Illinois, USA - JUN 5, 2003
It produced a thin white head that was short lived, and exhibited the expected pale yellow color with unfiltered yeast. It had a gread aroma and the spices made it very refreshing for a spring/summer day. Not a lot of body compared to other beer styles. I recommend it for warm weather refreshment.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dalle (1145) - Skørping, DENMARK - JUN 1, 2003
Small white head. Cloudy and pale golden-yellow. Sweet and spicy aroma. Light to medium body. Taste is slightly sweet and spicy (with a little bite!) with a dry finish. Good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Little carbonation. Very light colored and almost has a beige hue. I smell some witbier aromas, but they are noticeably weak. So is the flavor. I can taste the yeastiness but it is so weak. I think even Blue Moon blows this beer away. Hell, water blows this beer away.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - MAY 26, 2003
Ah allwayz thort that one odem ho gardens was them trayler paarks where Jerry Springer's guests came from. You could imagine the show- 'You drank all my brew, so skank we're now through'. Conversely this Belgian beauty is the best start to a a day of imbibing beers from this part of the world. A very pale beer with a complex aroma of fruity esters, banana, orange peel and lemon. It starts somewhat fizzy on the palate but that soon subsides. Good lacing in the glass, my only complaint being that I just don't like to drink out of those tumblers. This is fine out of a pilsner or lager glass. Lets have one or two then move on to the next one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 26, 2003
on tap - the cloudy, urine-yellow appearance (and the name of the beer for that matter!) set the tone nicely for this one. overpowering aroma of something citrusy. the taste seemed to have hints of banana and clove, oh yeah and a big frickin' wheat field. given a choice, i'd rather drink MD 20/20.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BBB63 (6155) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 26, 2003
Found out about this beer when visiting the Flanders countryside while living in Belgium, tasting it always brings me back to a great time in my life...Cloudy yellow and nice head, good lace, and thin-bodied. The citrus/spice combination really hits you head on. The wheat characteristic is more pronounced on th palate with just enough hoppiness to balance it out. Finishes surprising clean with minimum aftertaste. A world class witbier.